I was this close

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnbaby

May 19, 2011
Southern nh
Alright, I had money in hand and went to finally make my purchase, a hearthstone clydesdale. I was happy with price of unit, so we started talking about install. From reading these forums I was able to ask the right questions, I think. Something told me to hold off a day or two and post here. Here is the deal, I have a 14ft exterior chimney the specs call for a min 13ft. I inquired if that would be a problem being so close to min height. He said no. I asked if they as part of there installation install insulated liner, figuring that would help draft with short chimney, he said "maybe", but if I wanted insulated liner that the cost of it would triple. I also noticed in the clydesdale manual that the install calls for a seal off plate, which I assume is a block off plate. I inquired if they do that as part of the install, he said no that they just stuff roxal up there. This is a big purchase for me, and it seems like when I asked question about possible performance issues he just kept saying maybe, you never know. What do you guys and galls think about the chimney, do you think I'll have draft issues?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 164
No way it should triple for an insulated liner, the insulation isnt that much and doesnt take long to put it on the liner. Since its an exterior chimney I would definately insulate.
You could make your own block off plate, instructions are on this site and it would cost you $10 and your time, if I can do it, anyone can.
You could save money by the doing the install yourself with the help of a friend, its not that hard, the only hard part is if you have to cut the damper out and sometimes some bricks to make room for the liner.

Alright, I had money in hand and went to finally make my purchase, a hearthstone clydesdale. I was happy with price of unit, so we started talking about install. From reading these forums I was able to ask the right questions, I think. Something told me to hold off a day or two and post here. Here is the deal, I have a 14ft exterior chimney the specs call for a min 13ft. I inquired if that would be a problem being so close to min height. He said no. I asked if they as part of there installation install insulated liner, figuring that would help draft with short chimney, he said "maybe", but if I wanted insulated liner that the cost of it would triple. I also noticed in the clydesdale manual that the install calls for a seal off plate, which I assume is a block off plate. I inquired if they do that as part of the install, he said no that they just stuff roxal up there. This is a big purchase for me, and it seems like when I asked question about possible performance issues he just kept saying maybe, you never know. What do you guys and galls think about the chimney, do you think I'll have draft issues?

Sorry that was hurting my eyes ;).

I think it will draft fine I don't see many obstacles however a daylight picture would be better. My thoughts on draft are you wont know for sure till it is installed ! Everything takes tweaking when first installed and every stove burns/drafts different. Once it is in if there are issues they can be addressed by adding to the height or using draft caps and the like. I would not over think this issue because it really will be worth the effort when it is finished. I would most definitely get a stainless liner installed if you install it without one you have a slammer and they are not safe. As for block off plate you will want one but it can be scrap steel from a metal shop or something like that to save money. It will stop heat from going out the brick and throw it back into the room.

Pete

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 152
Sorry one more thing, the salesman told me that the liner is 399 and comes in a 25" lengths, they buys the kits in bulk. So even though my chimney is only 14ft I still have to pay for all 25ft. Like I already said, he said the cost would triple for insulated. $1200 for insulated liner!!! Why won't they just charge me for what I need.

Sorry one more thing, the salesman told me that the liner is 399 and comes in a 25" lengths, they buys the kits in bulk. So even though my chimney is only 14ft I still have to pay for all 25ft. Like I already said, he said the cost would triple for insulated. $1200 for insulated liner!!! Why won't they just charge me for what I need.

LOOK ALL OVER this is really the best thing to do if you have not. Shop the field and you wont be sorry you did you can take estimates to other dealers and work deals for cheaper cost installs.

Pete

If he has a reasonable price on the stove, buy it from him. Buy the liner kit on-line for a fraction of what he is charging. Your roof is not too steep, the DIY install should be pretty simple. How wide is the opening through your damper? Do you have a sawzall with a "torch" blade to make the opening larger if necessary? This is usually the toughest part of the job.

Block-off plate is easy, just follow the instructions on this site.

Get everything in the house, look it all over, read the install guide, then ask a bunch of questions. The members here have done it thousands of times and, as you ask questions and post some pictures, will guide you to the quickest and safest way to get the install done.

KaptJaq

Reactions: Pallet Pete
LOOK ALL OVER this is really the best thing to do if you have not. Shop the field and you wont be sorry you did you can take estimates to other dealers and work deals for cheaper cost installs.

Pete
When he gave me the price, he simply turned the computer screen in my direction, I asked if he could print it for me, he said no. I managed to remember a few prices and wrote it down when I got into car.

When he gave me the price, he simply turned the computer screen in my direction, I asked if he could print it for me, he said no. I managed to remember a few prices and wrote it down when I got into car.

From what you have said I would not by from this gentleman if you want him to do the install however if you are doing the install then I would buy the stove for a good deal. You will save a lot of cash and it is not hard to do. There is a ton of good info on this site everything you need to know as well as LOTS of members who will take the time to walk you threw it properly. This has the added effect of not only saving money but then with pictures here you know it is done right !

Pete

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If you aren't comfortable installing the stove and the liner you can find a certified chimney sweep to do it for you. You could either buy the liner kit and insulation yourself or buy it through the sweep.

The stove shop most likely will farm out the installation anyway.

Do you feel comfortable with all the maybe's from this guy,,,,I'm thinking if you have any issues with your stove,,,"Maybe" he won't stand behind the product,,,, that could be a major headache,, no matter how good of a buy.. Just something to consider...Good luck!

I think your chimney is too short as the measure is from the exhaust of your stove to the top of the chimney (unless your stove will be in the cellar).. Makes no sense to triple the liner price to have it insulated which I feel you should as it is outside and will improve your draft and help to reduce creosote with the higher flue temps.. +1 on the block-off plate and other comments..

Good Luck!
Ray

I think your chimney is too short as the measure is from the exhaust of your stove to the top of the chimney.. Makes no sense to triple the liner price to have it insulated which I feel you should as it is outside and will improve your draft and help to reduce creosote with the higher flue temps.. +1 on the block-off plate and other comments..

Good Luck!
Ray
The measurement was from the hearth to the top of chimney, roughly. Not from the ground to the top.

If you aren't comfortable installing the stove and the liner you can find a certified chimney sweep to do it for you. You could either buy the liner kit and insulation yourself or buy it through the sweep.

The stove shop most likely will farm out the installation anyway.

What BB said. That's what my stove shop did.

The measurement was from the hearth to the top of chimney, roughly. Not from the ground to the top.
Measure should be from the exit of the stove or insert to the top of the chimney if I remember correctly..

When we got a price for the Lopi Liberty with the installation charges our local shop gave us the cost on a computer generated estimate an invoice, get your cost on paper.

I've got a similar height situation (±15') and masonry chimney. My stove is installed in front of existing fireplace, ±7x13" clay flue liner.
I was able to install rigid 6" dia. liner inside my flue, and a couple rotated 90 deg. fittings to get through the damper (no cutting was required).
Draft is fine, except on damp 40-50 F days, when I need to leave the air intake more open. I didn't insulate the liner because of lack of space (did not want to remove the clay flue tiles). Bottom is stuffed with insulation around pipe.
I'd probably get better draft on those marginal days with an insulated liner...but it's not the end of the world as is.
As to the salesperson.... I'd be most worried about the type of guy who absolutely guarantees everything will be perfect without even looking at an install location. Or the type of installer that isn't familiar with the manufacturer's recommendations and installation requirements. Find a shop that's service oriented, knows the product and is willing to follow up/trouble shoot.

Reactions: raybonz
I'm not far from you and can recommend a couple of dealers that I worked with. Both sent people out to measure and inspect the fireplace before providing a quote. They use certified installers which satisfied my home owners insurance. What questions the sales people couldn't answer were directed to the installers who contacted me back pretty quickly.

Reactions: Mitch Newton
You should use an insulated liner. If you have any doubt about draft, installing insulation will help draft tremendously. Look online, I know you can find a liner kit and insulation for a good deal, around $450 for the liner and insulation, and it is a job doable for the average DIY-er.

Reactions: corey21 and raybonz

Burnbaby:

In the early part of 2010 I was remodling my living room and wanted to do something to reduce the heat loss from our open fireplace. After looking at many woodstoves and inserts at the Seattle Home Show, my better half and I decided that we liked the looks and performance of the Clydesdale. There is one local dealer of Hearthstone products in our area and went to him to obtain a quote for the unit and the install. He gave us a highball quote for the Clyde and indicated that his installer was an "outside" contractor that he used. Unfortunately, he explained to us that his contractor had recently fallen off a roof, hurt himself and would not be available for some time.

With that information in mind we decided to buy the unit, the liner and insulation kit online and do the installation ourselves. We have a 14 by 14 inch terra cotta flue and a 4/12 roof slope. Everything arrived as expected in good shape. We insulated the SS Flex King Pro liner and dropped the liner down the flue. Prior to that we removed the damper and made extensive modifications to our Superior HeaForm manufactured fireplace. For that work we brought in a welder, who also helped us install a block-off plate. Then we also extended our hearth to achieve the necessary ember protection in front of the stove.

Everything has worked out quite well and we are very pleased with the performance of the Clyde. I mention all of the above only to indicate that it is possible for a do-it-yourselfer to complete a professional level installation.You can do it too, if you want to.

Given your short outside chimney, I think that insulating the liner and installing a block off plate are important.

If you want to hire a contractor to do your install, look at the following web site to obtain quotes: http://www.nficertified.org/pages_consumers/consumers-1.cfm These are certified installers so they should know what they are doing.

Good luck with your install. P.S. I'm 66 as is my better half.

Burnbaby, what you have told is not strange. The last time we looked at a new stove I did not feel any of the stove shops knew much at all about the stoves except for the price. And what you stated in the above quote where he would not give you a print out, I would probably have walked out right then, but maybe that is just me.

One more thing I would like to touch on is the fuel. Have you done anything yet about getting fuel? Are you aware wood needs lots of time to dry? Are you aware you can not buy dry wood even though the seller will tell you it is dry and ready to burn? For sure burning wood is not like burning gas or oil. You can not install a stove and then go looking for fuel. Get the fuel first!

Burnbaby, what you have told is not strange. The last time we looked at a new stove I did not feel any of the stove shops knew much at all about the stoves except for the price. And what you stated in the above quote where he would not give you a print out, I would probably have walked out right then, but maybe that is just me.

One more thing I would like to touch on is the fuel. Have you done anything yet about getting fuel? Are you aware wood needs lots of time to dry? Are you aware you can not buy dry wood even though the seller will tell you it is dry and ready to burn? For sure burning wood is not like burning gas or oil. You can not install a stove and then go looking for fuel. Get the fuel first!
No I don't have a supply of wood yet, I plan on getting a few cords of "seasoned" wood now for next year, I also talked to a big wood dealer close buy who sells truly seasoned wood for a huge price. He told me to bring a moisture meter and allow me to pick a few pieces out of the pile and he will split them and prove that they are seasoned. Regardless I have the money now for stove, and I plan on buying one. If I have to wait till next year to burn I'm ok with that.

Sounds good Burnbaby. If you check with a MM, then go for anything under 20%.

Reactions: raybonz
Some wood will dry in a year, some takes two or three years (particularly oak). It all depends on the weather in your neighborhood (temperature, humidity, and wind). I'd buy the low-moisture wood now, for next year, and buy the "seasoned" wood for year after next. I'm new to burning wood and haven't been able to believe what a difference really dry wood makes. Anything that's not really dry will have you up half the night babysitting it (opening and closing primary air, adding more wood, raking coals), whereas truly dry wood, you put it in, wait a few minutes, turn down the primary air and fuggedaboudit. I knew to expect this, having read many postings on this site, but first-hand experience will make a believer out of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.