I was told this is ASH. No idea if that's correct. Please help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CombatChris

Mar 27, 2014
Central NC
All,

After scoring a huge load of maple and willow oak I've got access to 2 newly downed trees which the owner has said is Ash. Central NC area.

I've never collected or burned it before. If it IS ash I wonder if from the pics anyone knows if it's White or Green. Either one I'll be happy. I have no pics or data about leaves, seeds/seed pods, color change, etc. Just the pic of these rounds and some of the split wood.

Thanks, all!

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
Cant see the pics, please post them using the website upload feature

Thanks, all! Feels great to now know and be able to ID this. And that I should have it nice and dry before winter 2021-22 starts.

smell it.
if it smells like a baseball bat*, it's ash.

* a good baseball bat, one that doesn't shatter to a billion pieces with used improperly

• Haha
Reactions: Stinkpickle
That's right. I remember playing Little League in Atlanta, the bats all said "MADE OF NORTHERN WHITE ASH."

The ash trees here in NC are all dying so saw it up and split it. I have been burning it for two years it is good firewood.

Reactions: JamesGuido
Reactions: JamesGuido
IMG_3900.JPG

I just sawed up a truck load of ash in the NC mountains 4 days ago. Got most all of it split now, and in the woodshed.
It is harder to split than the other 2 ash trees I have cut up but still, the maul could handle it.
I have at least one more truck load left on that tree. Got to wait for 3 consecutive dry days to go down and get it as it is on an old logging road on a steep hill side.
I just love to cut up these ash trees. I wish the Emerald Ash Borer had not invaded our continent, but, when God gives you lemons, make lemonade!
Ash is rated at 24 million BTU/ cord so it is some great firewood.

ps When you get that greyish-white bark on that tree that is the tell-tale sign of an ash tree that is dying.

Reactions: PA Mountain Man