Ice storm or firewood storm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Don't imagine I am the only one that is braving the bad weather to check for wood following the storm. Didn't have to go far for the first offering either- White Oak at the end of my drive has lost a big limb and will likely have more trimmed out of it to remove the bad limb. Lots of stuff down. Scrounging time!

We got minimal ice . . . all early AM. So now TWC claims the wind speeds should be 9 . . . I just came inside and it's prolly 20 sustained with gusts over 30!!! Good thing we didn't get the ice, we'd be outta' power now.

Need a new weather Babe . . .

As far as I can tell nothing fell out east on the island. Half hour of ice then all rain.

Lots of stuff down here. Not too many trees but decent limbs all over the place. I spent the better part of the day cutting limbs so customers could get out of the driveways and clear the sidewalks. Not much wood really but pays the bills none the less. I'm sure if I tried I could get lots of big stuff but salting and plowing are enough work for me right now. Back out again tomorrow at 3am since we got another good coating of snow this afternoon. 60 tons of salt down and 20 more delivered today.

We have a lot of stuff down from the last storm. Several neighbors have downed limbs. I am going to help them out! Will also make a circle of the surrounding area.

Looked at the wood that was down as I cut it up and determined it was Ash. I thought I had memorized the species that were around the property based on location, but that one was not what I recalled. I'll take the Ash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.