Ice Storm SW NH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Looks like SW NH is in the bullseye for an extended icing period. I expect some folks will have some unplanned firewood opportunities.

Hopefully it wont be too bad for the folks that get it. We had one in 2007 that knocked us out of power for two weeks. Gas stations ran out of gas and a few of the last stations that had gas got huge fines for price gouging. We had a 1 1/2 of ice on everthing. Trees looked like a hurricane came through.

Anybody remember the 1998 Ice Storm in Eastern Canada/Northern US
We were without power for 32 days

Reactions: jaoneill

Not something one would forget right away. When I went outside that morning the trees snapping under tons of ice sounded like there was a serious gun battle raging. I measured 6" of ice on the roof of my car and measurements of 8" weren't uncommon. The ice was so thick and heavy that the car suspensions were all bottomed out and tires looked half flat. Here in southeastern St Lawrence County NY, in the Hwy 11 corridor, our power went out on Jan 8th and wasn't restored until Feb 26th. There wasn't a power pole standing in the 20+ mile stretch between Gouverneur and DeKalb Jct. and this was the story over most of the region. Much of this was due to greed on the part of the power company, Niagara Mohawk, that had never replaced a pole. Power poles have a life expectancy of 30-40 years and should be on a regular replacement schedule. The poles here in the North Country had been in the ground since the Rural Electrification Program in the 1930's. NiMo had always paid a decent return on their stock but it was at the expense of the customer.

Last edited:

Visited Watertown NY in 2001. Wooded areas were still littered with topped trees and limbs. Most of the street trees had been destroyed. One reason so many got generators after that.

Reactions: jaoneill
We got some ice here in Upstate NY today but nothing like Ice Storm 98. I was young but I remember being without power for a few days.

Remember it? Damn I was riding almost 600 miles that weekend!! My area didn’t get the ice so we rode. Great trip. The rest of the state was screwed.

I remember that storm. On Jan 6th I signed papers on a house purchase with a beautiful wooded lot full of maples and cedars. After that storm 80% of the trees were gone. We were lucky this time, we got a full day of ice pellets yesterday, one hour north of the city.

Well power is out here went off a 4 am My Geny kicked in and has run flawlessly
They say we will get it back sometime tonight
Keep warm

Well power is out here went off a 4 am My Geny kicked in and has run flawlessly
They say we will get it back sometime tonight
Keep warm
I will be installing one of these suckers this summer.
Stay warm!