ICE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodgeek

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2008
SE PA
Looks like at least a quarter million folks without power in the Philly 'burbs! Including yours truly.

When you can see 4 downed trees from your house.....you know you have problems !!

POS wood stove on 11 and HF genny purring :)

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
why didn't you just make 10 louder?
be safe around ice, especially icicles...they've been know to kill people you know.

Reactions: woodgeek
Glad I put a new blower on the old stove.....we're going to test its BTU output. Forecast is a low of of 18*F tonight.

Stay warm geek... So far for us its just snow but its coming down hard looks like 6-8 inches already. And its the dense wet heart attack snow.

We have another one on the way Sunday that they are saying will be even larger. Will be a 1-2-3 punch snow week. At least our temps are staying quite mild with daytimes in the 30s and nights only in the high teens/20s.

I'm not going to!

Stay warm geek... So far for us its just snow but its coming down hard looks like 6-8 inches already. And its the dense wet heart attack snow.

We have another one on the way Sunday that they are saying will be even larger. Will be a 1-2-3 punch snow week. At least our temps are staying quite mild with daytimes in the 30s and nights only in the high teens/20s.

I'll be happy if I have power back by then.

It looked like a war zone in my yard.
My neighbor has a long row of 200 ft pines that are about 80 years old. One by one, huge limbs began to crash down--covering my wood stacks, and pulling the Electric line from my house. Phone line, too. Still had power until a couple of transformers blew up across the corn field. Lit up the sky, then no power. That was a little before 6 this morning. I loaded up the stove, patted the cat and finally left for work about 7:30.
Earlier I was standing at the window watching helplessly as the broken branches came crashing down. I could hear other trees give in with loud booms and cracks all over the valley, and the sky was flashing with blue and red from transformers blowing up and catching on fire. It was like the Fourth of July with Ice.
I hope I have power when I get home, otherwise the cat and I will go find a warming center in Westminster. Amazingly, all of my trees remained intact--that I know of.
Hope everyone remains safe and warm.

We got the warmer version of ice, SLUSH!!!

Snow, plenty of it here. Maybe 6" so far and 6" more forecasted for "round two"
Good garage puttering day except my propane Dyna Glo heater just snapped and no longer works so it's the noisy kerosene torpedo which drowns out the tunes and stinks.
But hey, if that's my biggest problem today I'd have to say things are pretty good.

We dodged a bullet AGAIN. forecast was ice ,but none showed up. All over now.

Us too-by a hair-the county just to the south of us (Mercer) sounds like it got slammed-lots of folks out of power and lots of downed trees on roadways according to the news.

Revised stats are >600,000 customers in the Philly metro, mostly W and N burbs, are without power, roughly 1.5M people.

The local utility says it is their largest winter outage ever, and second only to Sandy otherwise. The good news....a lot of our buds have got power back now. Us not so much. :mad:

Ice is the pits. Expensive and time consuming to repair and really inconvenient for those who don't have generators and rely on electricity to power boilers, furnaces, well pumps.

Just snow for us... upwards of 8" would be my guess (cats flatly refuse to cross the threshold to the great outdoors).

Update: snow blower has been fired up.

Last edited:
15 year old Coleman genset powering our place (mostly the well pump) and the Nap 1400 keeping us warm here Pottstown (Coventry, St Pete's Area) I don't expect the power back until Friday or Saturday with the amount of downed trees.

Word here is: line down....your power is on now; transformer shot.....think weekend. The latter category include me and three neighbors, in a sea of power. The folks across the street have power....their line comes from the pole in my front yard. Must be all that bad karma I racked up! ;lol

Everyone here seems to be without power. stay warm!

Hate the ice . . . love the snow. Getting all snow from this storm.

For you folks further south in the ice . . . stay safe.

It is Friday at 11:30, day 3. WE FINALLY HAVE IGNITION!!!!
The contractors just got my severed connection back up, I just reset everything. Kept upstairs fridge/freezer contents outside, downstairs freezer topped out at 29 degrees(whew!)
I really found out what my insert was capable of without the blower. It kept the main room 65-71 degrees, and I could heat water on top in mugs and a metal pitcher.
It sounds kind of silly, but for the most part I regarded it as an adventure. It was like living with the Amish, only without a cooking stove and water pump. And of course, I could charge my phone in my car.;em
I am really looking forward to my first hot meal in three days and having a good wash.
Next storm--tommorow. Film at 11.

Hot showers are what I missed the most.

Reactions: firebroad
Power restored after 2.4 days. Considering the massive damage visible driving around (about one down tree across the street on every other block) across 4 counties, I think that is pretty reasonable progress.

My town logged 1/2" of solid ice. On top of wet snow clinging to everything from Monday.

Edit: about 1/3rd of those who lost power still are out.

Last edited:
Welcome back to the land of light and hot water showers.

Reactions: firebroad
Still no power here in the Coventry area, a little south of Pottstown.

Hope they get to you soon. Have some donuts or muffins, hot coffee and cocoa ready for the crews. They really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.