ID and info Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ModMakeover

Feb 1, 2021
Hello, I have what appears to be an earth stove, can anyone help me identify the model or tell me more about it? I'm not sure if it's a proper insert or a zero clearance. We are going to pull it to replace, but are trying to figure out if we need to budget for rebuilding the fireplace as well as the new stove, liner, and installation. 1970's home. Chimney has no liner. Also, it's our only heat source for our main half of the house so trying to figure this out BEFORE pulling it if possible since we will push it out til it warms up more if we will need to spend more time on the project. Thanks for your help!

20210201_201827.jpg 20210201_201915.jpg 20210201_201955.jpg 20210126_140545.jpg 16122421224453907406689594945121.jpg 16122421498662016084875526513471.jpg 16122421873797968756089191048776.jpg

No idea. I have never seen one like it. I may be wrong, but I am betting it's not an Earth stove. I have only ever seen there old solid steel stoves have drop down doors. The fire place appears to be solid masonry but you'll have to pull the old one out to confirm. Appears to also be a slammer so a full liner will be needed.

Is it a full boxed in insert or just a face plate and exchanger pipes? I cant tell if I'm looking at a clay flue in the interior pic. I see a lot of those face plate style inserts for sale in the northwest.

No idea. I have never seen one like it. I may be wrong, but I am betting it's not an Earth stove. I have only ever seen there old solid steel stoves have drop down doors. The fire place appears to be solid masonry but you'll have to pull the old one out to confirm. Appears to also be a slammer so a full liner will be needed.

The chimney definitely needs a liner, can you tell me what you mean by a "full liner". Is there some sort of liner for around the insert?

Is it a full boxed in insert or just a face plate and exchanger pipes? I cant tell if I'm looking at a clay flue in the interior pic. I see a lot of those face plate style inserts for sale in the northwest.

It appears to be boxed in. The flue is metal. There's so much creosote inside it's hard to tell where any seams might be.

The chimney definitely needs a liner, can you tell me what you mean by a "full liner". Is there some sort of liner for around the insert?
I was speaking of a stainless liner that goes inside a masonry flue. I just assumed the flue was masonry. Do you have an outside pic of the flue? Maybe someone already lined it?