ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody5506

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2017
Rochester NY
Hey guys, I got this stuff a while back for free off Craigslist. I'm sure it will be more obvious to some of you than it is for me as a newbie. The wood is extremely dense (heavy) and splits very nice. An ID would be appreciated!

20170225_095041.jpg 20170225_095020.jpg

Attachments

• 20170225_095032.jpg
    20170225_095032.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 20170225_095009.jpg
    20170225_095009.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 259
Interesting. It was way easier to split and darker in color than my other ash. Thanks guys.

Possible it could be Norway Maple guys?

The only thing throwing me off from it definitely being ash is its mid 30's moisture content. And this was split in November.

Possible it could be Norway Maple guys?
I think quite possible. That grain sure has a maple appearance to me and the bark isn't as defined of an x pattern that I see in ash around me. Just for grins I am going to be the second dissenter and call out maple.

I'd lean towards maple now simply due to the higher moisture content than any of the other ash I have, which I believe is white ash. It's also way more dense than the white ash.

Leaning towards maple.

Do you still have any of this wood in round form? If so, look at the cutside of any round, Ash usually has a pinhole in the center of it, so if there isn't one I'd say Maple.

Reactions: D8Chumley
None left in rounds. These rounds were easy 30" diameter and they were free at some guy's rental property. I split and loaded them that way due to size. His tenants must have thought I was a mad man, I definitely was being stared at through the windows.

Hey guys, I got this stuff a while back for free off Craigslist. I'm sure it will be more obvious to some of you than it is for me as a newbie. The wood is extremely dense (heavy) and splits very nice. An ID would be appreciated!
Looks exactly like the dozens and dozens of cords of tulip poplar that I have cut split stacked and burned over the years. When green, feels dense and heavy. I bet it won't feel that way after a year.

I'm surprised at all the ash responses, I've only cut up about 20 ash trees over the years, but none of it had the thick brown layer between the dark grey outside and the wood of tulip poplar. The large uniform ridges look similar, as does the light wood, but the underlayer is different.

I could see this a lot more clearly on my computer than when I looked at it on my phone last night.

Woody5506, I bet if you take some more pictures and post them up, you'll get a bunch more tulip poplar responses. I think you confused the boys here with your heavy and dense description, but the 30% moisture comment, and the thick brown underlayer of the bark (and free on Craigslist) could have been useful clues.

Last edited:
You could try cutting off a slice of the bark. The ashes I've all seen have a brighter white color under the bark. I'm not sure about the norway maple. That sample looks like it has dark brown bark color.

Attachments

• 20170204_132233.jpg
    20170204_132233.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 135
You could try cutting off a slice of the bark. The ashes I've all seen have a brighter white color under the bark. I'm not sure about the norway maple. That sample looks like it has dark brown bark color.

This picture looks a lot like persimmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Where have you been, man? Frozen somewhere and just thawed out?! :)

Went through a divorce, and haven't burned wood for two years, lost interest... building a new home(log cabin) and will be burning again soon!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Went through a divorce, and haven't burned wood for two years, lost interest... building a new home(log cabin) and will be burning again soon!
Sorry to hear that, you never know where life will take you, you know? Good to have you back, the forum needs veteran guys like you around here !

Best of luck with the new start, get right back on the merry go round !