Wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TwiceWarmed

Apr 9, 2019
Upstate, NY
Got a load of this stuff, looking for some help with ID, quite heavy.

Thanks for any opinions, seems like a solid hardwood. Wondering for which seasoning pile.

20230407_154935.jpg20230407_154919.jpg20230407_154908.jpg20230407_154857.jpg

From where I'm sitting it looks like walnut. Does it have a distinct odor? Did you cut the tree?, any nut hulls around?

Looks like black locust. Was it lime green when originally split?

Yup Black Locust
The bark looks a little different on the BL here, and the split face looks an unusual color, but that end grain is classic.

Thank u all for the responses, much appreciated. I did not cut down the tree, got it from side of road, people wanted to get rid of it. How long would anyone estimate for Black locust to get under 20 percent? Probably going to season for 18 months, wondering if it needs more than that usually. Upstate NY area.

Here after 24 months it was still 21 pct. I'd go for three summers.

How long would anyone estimate for Black locust to get under 20 percent? Probably going to season for 18 months, wondering if it needs more than that usually. Upstate NY area.
Single-row stack, or several rows stacked together? Good prevailing wind perpendicular to the stacks?
Those splits look fairly small for the most part--might get pretty dry over two summers.
I haven't closely observed how long BL takes, though; Any I've gotten has sat pretty long because I'm several years ahead and not in a rush to burn stuff I've cut recently.

I save BL for the coldest nights. Keep them big. Store them away separated from the average woods. 2 summers stacked loosely.