Idaho logs vs Cord of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeattleRider

Jan 22, 2014
Seattle, WA
Folks,
I am finally get my insert (Lopi Freedom) installed in a couple of weeks, I have been splitting wood and have enough for next winter but nothing seasoned for current use.

Now I have looked on craigslist, a cord of seasoned wood (mixed) is usually around $300 delivered whereas a local place can deliver a pallet of Idaho logs for about $350, I have been told the pallet equates to 1.5 - 2 cords of wood.

What would your opinion be on which option to go with?

Thanks for the help.

Well, if the wood is truly seaoned (by a woodburners definition) I'd get some of both, see how each burns and take it from there. You might be better off mixing the two because the neils get hot.

Well, if the wood is truly seaoned (by a woodburners definition) I'd get some of both, see how each burns and take it from there. You might be better off mixing the two because the neils get hot.

Yes thanks to this forum I know the importance of a moisture meter :). That is another concern as well, just because someone is advertising it as seasoned doesn't mean that it actually is so why deal with the hassle this late in the season.

Yes thanks to this forum I know the importance of a moisture meter :). That is another concern as well, just because someone is advertising it as seasoned doesn't mean that it actually is so why deal with the hassle this late in the season.
I would mix them, I never burn more than 3 NEIL's at a time since they burn so hot, even if the wood is soso the NEIL's will help the load burn well, I don't think I'd want to burn just the NEIL's alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.