Idea for a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chachdave

Feb 10, 2009
Southern NH
I am building a new wood shed (when its done i`ll post some pics) and when I was at Home Depot saw that they had a metal shed 8x10 for $299. I was wondering if I bought that instead of building one, fill the sucker with wood.

1. How would wood season?

2. If it was baking in hot summer sun it almost be like a kiln. maybe

3. It would hold,I think, about 4 cords.

I also saw a Lowes, and Sears ad with same price shed with a free floor kit. Just thinking it might work for someone.
Me I like to break my back pouring concrete, cutting lumber, and playing with my nail gun.

More like a sauna. Wood needs a whole boatload of ventilation to constantly carry away the moisture if it's gonna season. Rick

Perhaps drop one of those solar powered attic vents in there so it pulls air out of the shed perhaps... with the fan well placed and some additional air intakes maybe good airflow could be achieved to get the moist air out? a 'relatively' less expensive solar kiln kit here? Hmmm...

To have 4 cord you'd have to have it filled a little more than 6 feet high and packed really tight. If its hardwood you're talking, figure 20,000lbs of weight on the walls and floor. Good luck :) Like to have before and after pics :coolsmile:

flyingcow said:
To have 4 cord you'd have to have it filled a little more than 6 feet high and packed really tight. If its hardwood you're talking, figure 20,000lbs of weight on the walls and floor. Good luck :) Like to have before and after pics :coolsmile:

My thoughts exactly . . .

Even packing it tightly I only come up with a little over 3 cords stacked 3 feet and 3 3/4 cords if stacked 6 feet high . . . and this would not account for any odd shaped wood or the fact that usually you need some space between stacks.

Ventilation would be an issue I would think.

More importantly, as FC mentioned is the weight of the wood on the floor and walls . . . in general these sheds are not built with real rugged wood . . . most that I've seen have 2 x 4 (some have 2 x 6) stringers with OSB for flooring . . . they are really made for folks who want to store their kid's bikes, riding toys, push lawn mower, garden tools, etc. inside.

chachdave said:
I am building a new wood shed (when its done i`ll post some pics) and when I was at Home Depot saw that they had a metal shed 8x10 for $299. I was wondering if I bought that instead of building one, fill the sucker with wood.

1. How would wood season? day by day ?

2. If it was baking in hot summer sun it almost be like a kiln. maybe hornet heaven, wonderful environment for rust manufacture

3. It would hold,I think, about 4 cords. a used Roadway trailer would hold even more

I also saw a Lowes, and Sears ad with same price shed with a free floor kit. Just thinking it might work for someone.
Me I like to break my back pouring concrete, cutting lumber, and playing with my nail gun.
I'm too cheap to spend $299.00, bit if someone gave it to me , those metal panels could be put on top of my stacks to keep the rain off my splits. Coupla rocks to keep the panels from blowing away ...

:)

Dave for that kind of dough you could fashion a real wood shed that would better suited for seasoning and hold way more wood. There are lot of examples in this woodshed forum.

Quite a few years back a friend of mine bought one of those kit metal sheds. Holy crap! You want to talk about an erector set. Barely enough beer in this county to put that together. I have nooooo problem with hammer and nails and a saw.

KC

iskiatomic said:
Quite a few years back a friend of mine bought one of those kit metal sheds. Holy crap! You want to talk about an erector set. Barely enough beer in this county to put that together. I have nooooo problem with hammer and nails and a saw.
thats funny reminds me of the above ground swiming pools never put one together just took it apart but wow you need a dedicated beer runner!

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.