Ideal Steel Hybrid 210 firebox after a burn cycle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2014
MD
Just wanted to see what others firebox are looking like after a burn. I have been burning 16-20 MC splits and have a shiny black tar like substance along the back and coming around the corners to the front. There may be a rogue split above 20 MC but not more then 25. Everything above that is a nice tan/brown color. I have been burning shoulder burns over the weekends when air temp is forecast to the low 30's. Been burning some pine and cherry wood. Once the wood is nice and charred I lower the air in stages down until I'm at 1/8 air open for my long over night burn with the cat engaged.

Attachments

• ideal steel hybrid 210 (2).jpg
    ideal steel hybrid 210 (2).jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 641
Normal. Is this your first cat stove?

At 1/8 air you are running a smoldering fire. The cat is cleaning up the mess. This is normal. If you are saving wood and longer burn times you win. If you want nice flames, cleaner glass, and box run it over 1/4 on the air.

At 1/8 air you are running a smoldering fire. The cat is cleaning up the mess. This is normal. If you are saving wood and longer burn times you win. If you want nice flames, cleaner glass, and box run it over 1/4 on the air.
Okay cool, I know I was smoldering it and the cat is doing a great job. Was just surprised at how black the lower half is. Glad to hear it's normal. Where is the primary air actually enter into the firebox? I know it pulls in from the bottom left but where does it go from there? I notice the bottom right front seems to glow the coals red and the bottom left front not as much. The lower left glass on the door is the only spot that builds up soot as well.

I'm not 100% sure but I've seen a simular pattern. Pine and cherry are an excellent combo. How long of burns are you getting?
I threw a arm full of box elder in at 6 am and the stove is still making heat.

I'm not 100% sure but I've seen a simular pattern. Pine and cherry are an excellent combo. How long of burns are you getting?
I threw a arm full of box elder in at 6 am and the stove is still making heat.
I have loaded her up at 10PM and had a ST temp 10 hours later of 250. The temp gauge I have for the top front above the door was at 300. I opened the air to full open and got the temp to rise 50-100 degrees to burn the coals down. Still throwing heat 2 more hours later. There is usually a temp difference of a 100 degrees between the two once the cat is engaged. My old stove would get 5-7 hours and it would be stone cold in the morning.

Reactions: chance04 and JA600L
Status
Not open for further replies.