Ideas to Avoid Tall Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ishamael69

Dec 31, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I would like to put a wood stove in my new garage. Above the garage, there will be an apartment. The only place that is convenient to run a chimney through would be next to an outside wall. Unfortunately, my roof is a 12/12 or 45 degrees, which means I need a 12' tall chimney above the roof. (Right?) Is there any way around that? Can I pipe over in the attic to closer to the peak with stove pipe? If not, is it even possible to build a 12' chimney with just pipe, or would I need to build a chase?

I would like to put a wood stove in my new garage. Above the garage, there will be an apartment. The only place that is convenient to run a chimney through would be next to an outside wall. Unfortunately, my roof is a 12/12 or 45 degrees, which means I need a 12' tall chimney above the roof. (Right?) Is there any way around that? Can I pipe over in the attic to closer to the peak with stove pipe? If not, is it even possible to build a 12' chimney with just pipe, or would I need to build a chase?

Totally possible. Need a roof brace at the 5 and the 10 foot mark. Not desirable.

My shop is exactly what you are describing. Long tall chimney. The stove has been there for over 25 years, never a problem. I was always going to add support bracing, have not got to it yet. You can use two pieces of 1/2" emt conduit, flattened on the ends for attachment points and fastened to the roof in a V.

5' unsupported class A is the max above the roof in canada and I'm pretty sure your guys code is the same on that as was previously alluded to by Highbeam.

So while I'm glad it's worked out for you Electrathon having a tall unsupported chimney, it doesn't meet code and certainly wouldn't be recommended. It would be a good idea to put the supports on that you've thought about doing for a little while now. ;)

Look again and consider the possibility of running it up through the apt. in a chase.

Chase it out, and run it so it exits near the peak. Easier to clean that way.

Before doing this, check your local codes for putting a stove in a garage; this may be a violation. You may even void your insurance policy.
Jim

my roof is a 12/12 or 45 degrees, which means I need a 12' tall chimney above the roof. (Right?)

Right? I do not know. Depends on your stove manual and local ordinance.

My stove manual, for example, is flexible. It discussing issues like roof angle and distance to the roof ridge that then will require different chimney heights.

But of course local politically introduced (ignorant) regulations may override those fact based recommendations.

Unfortunately, my roof is a 12/12 or 45 degrees, which means I need a 12' tall chimney above the roof. (Right?)
No, not necessarily. The chimney just needs to stick through the roof 3' minimum, and also be 2' taller than any point in the roof within 10'
Chimney_Clearance_Spec020-DFs.jpg

This is correct. Your roof rises 10' over a 10' run. So in order to be 2' higher than any point within 10', your chimney will be at least 12' tall

Unless of course the roof peak occurs within that 10' or horizontal distance. Then you just need to be 2' over the peak.

The OP asked another question though, can you offset the class A in the attic? I know that they make bends for class A and that I've seen them used in attics to avoid beams. Assuming that there is attic space, could the OP not move the roof penetration closer to the peak with an attic offset?

If there is room you can use up to a 30º chimney offset in the attic.

If there is room you can use up to a 30º chimney offset in the attic.

OK and since his roof is a 45 degree angle it won't work if the stove is right at the bottom of the roof but if he enters the attic farther from the roof he can get closer to the peak with an attic offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.