Identify wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

oblina63

Oct 10, 2020
High Desert CA
I think this is eucalyptus because the wood has a bluish cast and some of the pieces peel in long threads. I was told it is walnut. IMG_2806.jpgPlease help me out and thank you in advance

Not sure what it is, but the bark does not look like walnut.

Might be eucalyptus. It looks stringy. If it is hard to split the branch wood that would be a good guess. Also, the bark and wood may have a distinct medicinal odor. However, our eucalyptus has a peeling bark that is not like this. How heavy are the dry splits?

Last edited:
What is throwing me off it the bark, but there are many varieties of eucalyptus. Our euc has a shedding bark. On areas that have completely shed is it very smooth and a pale olive color. How heavy or light are the splits?
IMG_1102.jpg

Last edited:
I may be mistaken but isn’t English Walnut a “blonde” light colored wood??

Might be eucalyptus. It looks stringy. If it is hard to split the branch wood that would be a good guess. Also, the bark and wood may have a distinct medicinal odor. However, our eucalyptus has a peeling bark that is not like this. How heavy are the dry splits?
Not that heavy. As compared to pine, heavier and compared to almond, lighter. Not sure if that helps. All I know, when we loaded into trailer, I thought it was rather light and we had trailer and back of truck loaded in an hour-newbies. But I have purchased and stacked pine and almond for awhile and this wood was closer to pine in weight

Beech?

There are elements of it that do look like Mimosa, particularly the bark. We removed a large one on our property years ago and I split, seasoned, and burnt it.

The weight is what is strange though. I remember Mimosa being heavy. I believe it is in the same family as locust.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
wouldn't be poplar the bark is to thin and smooth

Some leaves would make the ID much easier. In your neck of the woods I was wondering if it is some form of high desert oak, like live oak or blue oak.