Identifying cathedral support box?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RavenMint

Jan 21, 2018
Vermont
IMG_2989.JPG
Out of touch contractor put in cathedral ceiling support box and I have a little aspen stove 12' below it and nothing in between. About to add stovepipe, but do brands need to match? I can't find any numbers on it to identify brand of box. Tips on where should I look? Adapter inside 5 3/4" and outside 5 7/8", about 2-3" below bottom of box (covered in plastic). Any recommendations of it doesn't matter? Thinking durablack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately they all look like black boxes from this distance. The important visual cue is covered by the plastic. If you are thinking single wall pipe then it doesn't matter. If double-wall then staying with one mfg. will make fitting better and more precise. It's recommended to go double-wall for stove pipe lengths greater than 8'.

As long as you have the stovepipe adaptor, then it won’t matter what brand you use. There’s no reason the use the same brand as the chimney.

What’s with the ceiling patch?

As long as you have the stovepipe adaptor, then it won’t matter what brand you use. There’s no reason the use the same brand as the chimney.
Warranty? Secure attachment?

Unfortunately they all look like black boxes from this distance. The important visual cue is covered by the plastic. If you are thinking single wall pipe then it doesn't matter. If double-wall then staying with one mfg. will make fitting better and more precise. It's recommended to go double-wall for stove pipe lengths greater than 8'.
Why double wall for over 8'... greater support? I thought single wall would allow more heat into room?, but if it's a safety/stability issue I guess I should do double....

Why double wall for over 8'... greater support? I thought single wall would allow more heat into room?, but if it's a safety/stability issue I guess I should do double....
Less cooling of the flue gases in the stove pipe so that there is less creosote production in the chimney. The stove is the heater, not the flue pipe, though double-wall stove pipe still emits a fair amount of heat.

Attachments

• IMG_3197.JPG
    IMG_3197.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 212
Warranty? Secure attachment?
Tell me, how does double wall “securely” attach to most brands of ceiling boxes? Its with mechanical fasteners for almost every brand. Do you think you’d ever get a warranty claim through on connector pipe? I don’t think it would void a warranty anyway.

IMG_3197.JPG
Thanks all for your input. I appreciate it! If anyone discovers that they recognize this brand by a photo, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me, how does double wall “securely” attach to most brands of ceiling boxes? Its with mechanical fasteners for almost every brand. Do you think you’d ever get a warranty claim through on connector pipe? I don’t think it would void a warranty anyway.
Some stove pipe like DVL twist lock into the adapter.

Some stovepipe warranties say they are void if instructions from them are not followed. This is on the first page of Excel's instruction:
Use only ICC Model EXCEL components. Failure to do so will void the certification and warranty of the product.

Last edited:
Some stove pipe like DVL twist lock into the adapter.

Some stovepipe warranties say they are void if instructions from them are not followed. This is on the first page of Excel's instruction:
Use only ICC Model EXCEL components. Failure to do so will void the certification and warranty of the product.
The DVL we use doesn’t twist into an adaptor. The stovepipe adaptor used to have crimps on it that allowed the first piece of pipe to be snapped onto the adaptor. About 3 years ago they did away with the crimps though. They do make an adaptor that is a starter piece, it’s not as common though.

All chimney says not to interchange components from other brands. It doesn’t necessarily pertain to connector pipe. Obviously you can’t interchange brands of double wall stove pipe either. It all has to be the same brand, but does not have to be the same brand as the chimney.

Reactions: begreen
Yep, that makes sense

IF you're so inclined, you may be able to get on the roof and find a brand name on the chimney pipe itself. Or you could maybe remove the storm collar on the roof flashing and look down inside and you might see a sticker with info on it. I myself would just get some stovepipe and be done with it.

You would be better served by getting a welded seam pipe with a slip connector instead of snap-lock pipe IMO. Looks nicer, lasts longer, seals better. Double wall would only really be necessary if clearances were an issue since it's all in heated space.