Identifying Fisher Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jakewblake

Dec 18, 2018
Jakewblake
Hello, I moved into a new home and have noticed a fisher stove I was intrigued to find that these stoves are no longer made. I have the concern that maybe the stove is a knock off. But was wondering if someone could help identify the stove to see if maybe it is truly a fisher stove.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

20181218_195804.jpg 20181218_195820.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Todd67
It is a Fisher coaly will be along to I'd it soon. Have you had the entire system inspected?

I have not had it inspected. The previous owners didnt mention the stove at all which leads me to believe that they had no idea about it.

I am sure they knew there was a stove. It is kind of hard to miss

Well I mean they probably didnt know much about it. They definitely used it. But there is tons of blow back. Entire basement smells like burnt wood.
That smell is not uncommon at all with old smokedragons like these. It doesnt have to be there if they are run right. But most people burnt wet wood in them and shut them back to hard.

If that stamp is on inside door I think it indicates Left, Grandma. Once coaly chimes in he'll give best info.

That smell is not uncommon at all with old smokedragons like these. It doesnt have to be there if they are run right. But most people burnt wet wood in them and shut them back to hard.

Also installed in the basement so not uncommon to have poor or even reverse draft that sends air down the flue into the house. Cold stove stinks up the place, if bad enough a partial load (say burnt load of coal) the draft can still slow enough to let CO into the house. Something you should be aware of and another good reason to listen to bholler about inspection.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting the pics of your stove!

It looks like an authentic Fisher Grandma Bear from the pics. The center trees are farther apart on the Grandpa Bear.

Reactions: Jakewblake
Also installed in the basement so not uncommon to have poor or even reverse draft that sends air down the flue into the house. Cold stove stinks up the place, if bad enough a partial load (say burnt load of coal) the draft can still slow enough to let CO into the house. Something you should be aware of and another good reason to listen to bholler about inspection.
Awesome information. I had no idea that it could push back out. Any ideas on how I can fix this? The home inspector didn't mention it at all.

Awesome information. I had no idea that it could push back out. Any ideas on how I can fix this? The home inspector didn't mention it at all.

What can happen is that a leaky upstairs (esp attic) can allow rising hot air to be lost to the outside creating negative pressure in the house. Often the path of least resistance is for cold air to come down the chimney. Basements are the most problematic because its the lowest point (pressure) relative to the neutral pressure zone.

This issue is not always completely solvable but you may be able to manage it by sealing leaks. Attic stairs are a common contributor for instance.

If you don't need the heat down there the best solution may be to move the stove upstairs.

What can happen is that a leaky upstairs (esp attic) can allow rising hot air to be lost to the outside creating negative pressure in the house. Often the path of least resistance is for cold air to come down the chimney. Basements are the most problematic because its the lowest point (pressure) relative to the neutral pressure zone.

This issue is not always completely solvable but you may be able to manage it by sealing leaks. Attic stairs are a common contributor for instance.

If you don't need the heat down there the best solution may be to move the stove upstairs.
I may just have to keep it for the looks. I'm not sure the thing would fit through the stake well let alone getting it up. Isnt the grandma stove 700 pounds?