Identifying my Vermont Castings Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

akarmour

Jan 14, 2022
Alaska
I'd like to re-gasket and possibly install new glass in my stove, but I can't figure out which model I have.

I tried looking on the back plate, but it's too worn out to be useful. The only unique number on the plate was the serial, 1122.

It's a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore. It has two doors with glass, top load hatch and a catalytic combuster. The hatch itself says it was made in 1986.

Any help would be appreciated.

There are 2 models of " Defiant Encore" , 2140 and 2190. The 2140 was initially the 0028 for a brief period, though that was also the designation for one of the original Defiants so it was quickly changed. Dumb idea, really. The 0028 & 2140 are nearly identical and generally treated as such for service purposes.

Anyway, 2140/0028 has a removable plate on the back which provides catalyst access. (They also have 2 panes of glass in each door, another silly idea.)

2190 has catalyst access through the firebox.

This is the easiest way to tell.

Btw, later models were simply named " Encore" as is the current incarnation. 5 different models since 1986, all significantly different from one another though difficult to distinguish from the outside!

Awesome, thank you.

So it must be a 2140/0028 then, it has that back catalyst access along with the 2 panes. That should give me enough information to find the parts I need.

Also, thanks for the bonus fact. I was going through the manuals on Vermont Casting's site and they would list "Encore" and "Defiant". Trying to figure out which one was mine is a bit confusing.