If I can get free wood...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokoni

Nov 28, 2005
It's my first year burning a wood stove. I can get a fair amount of free wood for burning next year and I'm wondering if any type is okay to burn in a stove? I know hardwood is ideal but if I come across some "less desirable" type is it fine to throw it in the pile? Does softer wood damage a woodstove or the liner? Also, my family (burning in a fireplace) often cuts small fallen trees and does not split the wood (too small in diameter). Does split wood burn better than just small logs? Thanks!

If it burns.... burn it. Some people burn ONLY pine w/no issues. Justmake sure your wood id properly seasoned.

I get free wood from a local tree cutter. I take whatever he has as long as it isn't pitchy. I like having an assortment of woods to choose from. I wish he had more oak though. Most of his customers kkep the oaks.

Rick

This is my first year also. I created a great wood getting technique. I made up a little flyer on my computer that basically stated that I'd cut trees free, the catch is I get the wood. Put it in a couple mailboxs. I got two hits, but both guys had more wood than I could deal with. The trick here is to make sure your not cutting any trees that could cause ANY damage to ANYTHING. The goal here is free wood. They get trees cut, you get free wood. You want to make sure your up front on what your doing . Your not removing brush, your not insured, and your not removing stumps. Both the guys I got hooked up with were very nice and agreed to my terms anxiously.

I probably got 2 cords of wood this way, so I'm in o.k. shape for the winter.

Just get the word out to all your friends. You'll find more wood than you imagined, and scrounge when and where you can.

After a while you'll wonder why anyone pays for wood.

thats the truth, just let everyone know you collect wood, i have over 12 cord here for 4 more years, i had more tha i could take, i work in a lot of developments with 1000+ houses, there is always wood, and i know a lot clearing crew, i had so much that those days here in the pocono's when it was almost 100 degreas out i could pass for a cooler day

Nokoni said:
Also, my family (burning in a fireplace) often cuts small fallen trees and does not split the wood (too small in diameter). Does split wood burn better than just small logs? Thanks!

It doesn't seem to make much difference. It's the actual size that matters most. A 2" diameter round burns just as good as a 2" diameter split provided that they are both seasoned properly. I don't split anything smaller than 4 or 5 inches.

quads said:
Nokoni said:
Also, my family (burning in a fireplace) often cuts small fallen trees and does not split the wood (too small in diameter). Does split wood burn better than just small logs? Thanks!

It doesn't seem to make much difference. It's the actual size that matters most. A 2" diameter round burns just as good as a 2" diameter split provided that they are both seasoned properly. I don't split anything smaller than 4 or 5 inches.

Key phrase here was "provided that they are both seasoned properly" Rounds with bark seem to take a LOT longer to season than anything that's split.

Status
Not open for further replies.