If there is a Chimney fire, what should I do with the insert controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for being the mature one of us two. :)

HeatsTwice said:
BeGreen said:
HeatsTwice said:
I have had 2 chimney fires in terracotta/cement/brick chimneys without harm to them.

Now I understand the HeatsTwice better

The problem is that most folks have no idea about if or where the contractor that built the house and the mason that built the chimney might have fudged a bit on clearances. Then when one really needs the chimney to be in great shape and has a hot fire burning 24/7 - boom, pyrolysis hits. It's a crapshoot, but each chimney fire has the potential to compromise the system a bit more. They are really best to be avoided in the first place.

It wouldn't surprise me if that is what you understand given your propensity to used innuendo to muddle clarity on many issues I have seen you comment on.

But that aside, I can say that you are correct about how contractors fudge on building codes. I personally have had a sub floor fire caused by improperly build firebox which mated right up to the wood with only a brick vinere between them. Cracks in the mortar allowed plasma to reach the wood subfloor and ignite a smolder – which caught fire as soon as the fire department cut a whole in the family room floor using a chain saw.

BTW, has anybody ever noticed that the fire department often does more damage to a structure than what the fire could have done? I watch these guys drag an ax right into a 4x6 glass door, laugh, and tell me that the insurance company would take care of it.

Most people that dont understand the complexities of fighting a house fire often times think the fire dept does more damage to the home than needed. It would be a full blown lie if I were to state this never happens...Just like the cops never beat up the bad guy. But I can assure you that your plasma would have caused far more damage to your home than a chainsaw through your floor. You sound like a very educated person, If you could possibly develop some sort of system/tool to put out a fire in an enclosed area without having to expose the area I am sure you could make millions. Sorry I just get tired of hearing people that dont fully understand make the statements such as this. "it was just my living room that was completely on fire, Why did you have to go cut that hole in my roof?" instead of "thank you it was my dumb a$$ that left the cardboard boxes beside my wood burner I am so happy you were able to save all my property that could never be replaced." Its the attitude that its always the fire dept's fault, cause of my misfortune. They were not here fast enough exc exc exc. And I guess thats why law suits run ramped in this country. But the handful of thank yous over sixteen years makes it all worth it......Sorry all I feel better now.

Yea, sorry for any disrespect shown. None meant. I understand where you are coming from.

The guys that showed at my house did so before my wife had even put the phone down.

They also did a great job cutting the whole in my floor by missing the support cross members which, if severed, would have caused the entire floor to collapse. But before they did that, they sent a guy (actually a small woman) under the crawl space in order to verify that there was in fact a fire.

They expected (and got) a four foot flame as soon as they opened the floor and the oxygen got to it. They were ready for it though, standing there with a 3 inch hose which they opened up all the way – as if to ambush the fire ball.

I have the utmost admiration for folks that will run into somebody else's burning house to save it. Cut holes wherever you want to FD guys. Holes ya can fix. A pile of ashes in the basement, way harder to fix.

I had to run back into mine four times when the kitchen was on fire and trying to breathe was unbelievable. AKA impossible. There is now a Scott's Airpack and a bunch of extinguishers in the shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.