If you think its cold in your town......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
I've been chceking the Mt Washington Observatory website during my long "cabin fever" stretch in Jan/Feb since 2003...I get a kick out of the temps there when I think its really cold in my town.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

I think Bill Bryson (author of Walk in the Woods, pretty funny read if you haven't) wrote about Mt. Wash., nearly got killed up there on a hike due to nasty weather.

Visited there this fall - was 70 degrees at the top and no wind!

Interesting fact - the bike race up to the top....takes just about as long as a foot race since all the benefits of a bike are lost on that steep of a hill.

Can you imagine running up that hill???

churchie said:
I think Bill Bryson (author of Walk in the Woods, pretty funny read if you haven't) wrote about Mt. Wash., nearly got killed up there on a hike due to nasty weather.

You nearly got killed up there or Bill did? Bryson could have written that book in a library. His hike supposedly
took place during the year of my thru-hike, but nobody that I knew ran into him. He also doesn't mention any
trail names, which is a dead give-away. It is a funny book, but Bill clearly didn't do much hiking, and his
book pretty much admits as much.

For a real book on the Appalachian Trail, read "A Season on the A.T.", by Lynn Setzer. In that book,
you can see a photo of northwinds (a/k/a quid pro quo) crossing the Kennebec on his 1996 thru-hike from
Georgia to Maine.

I didn't see much of Mount Washington on my hike. It was covered in fog. I did run into a 75 year old woman
hiking up to the summit through. She told me she had been hiking the mountain for over 50 years. I was
starting to feel tired, and she perked me right up.

I was up in Concord for the afternoon yesterday. What a beautiful snowstorm! Even better, by the time I left for home 93 was all plowed and salted, made it back in two hours (125 mi).

It just went below 20 here but it's 70 in my office thanks to the stove.

I've run the Mt. Washngton road race, was 65 at the bottom and 40 at the top. It's about a 7 mile run and it took me the same amount of time as a 1/2 marathon run for me. The shirt reads"Its only one hill"

I remember hiking up Mt. Washington. That was about 35 pounds ago.

Attachments

• veiw from house.jpg
    veiw from house.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 253
northwinds said:
churchie said:

You nearly got killed up there or Bill did?

Not me . . no way, I barely got up Manadnock

Status
Not open for further replies.