Ignigterphobia

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When we have guests I just turn the fan max control down so it doesn't get in the way of conversation or music. Room is big enough where that works. I have the oil set at 62::F for backup should the stove fail. I fire it during cleanings.
In my house I can set the fan on low in Room Temp Mode of course. But what happens eventually is there will be a call for heat large enough to cause a big tall flame. That heats things up enough in the stove that high fan will occur all on it's own. If your house is tight enough to not cause this I think that is great ! If you want to witness it happening first hand just stick your room probe in a glass of cold water, sit back and watch.

Room mode also here..
Manual when it;s below 40.... Auto when above..
Stove temp for me uses more Pellets and if I am not home and the sun warms everything up,
my stove is still burning in maint mode for hours for no reason other than it's stuck in Stove auto /or constant burn.

Um, the St. Croix, pad and exhaust pipe, cost less than your stove. Heck, even adding the cost of a ton of pellets and I didn't spend as much as your $1800 stove. Sorry to disappoint - but damn near everything I own has been used prior to my obtaining, and a majority I got off of CL after haggling price.

I guess I failed in making my point and ended up offending. :(

In my house I can set the fan on low in Room Temp Mode of course. But what happens eventually is there will be a call for heat large enough to cause a big tall flame. That heats things up enough in the stove that high fan will occur all on it's own. If your house is tight enough to not cause this I think that is great ! If you want to witness it happening first hand just stick your room probe in a glass of cold water, sit back and watch.
I've actually already tested this and I know what it does. I use ice cubes in a plastic bag tho. I don't know enough about the probe seal itself to allow it to get wet or damp. The fan apparently comes on in some sort of override mode to cool the stove I'd say. Understandable. When the stove does that it only lasts for a short time. In any case it has yet to do that when the room is occupied to that extent.

Room mode also here..
Manual when it;s below 40.... Auto when above..
Stove temp for me uses more Pellets and if I am not home and the sun warms everything up,
my stove is still burning in maint mode for hours for no reason other than it's stuck in Stove auto /or constant burn.
I don't care about using more pellets. The main problem I have with stove mode other than that it doesn't restart, is that it doesn't control room temp. We have a window wall that faces South. It has thermal glass that allows the sun to heat indoors depending on its angle. I and my wife don't like it too hot. We actually contemplated a coal stove as coal is cheap here and has more BTU per pound than pellets, but passed due to the lack of auto restart and ash generation.

Last edited:
That's easy to do here, text lacks facial expression is why unlike speaking in person.. Any forum is like that.

I've actually already tested this and I know what it does. I use ice cubes in a plastic bag tho. I don't know enough about the probe seal itself to allow it to get wet or damp. The fan apparently comes on in some sort of override mode to cool the stove I'd say. Understandable. When the stove does that it only lasts for a short time. In any case it has yet to do that when the room is occupied to that extent.
I get it. Well we live in different houses !

That's easy to do here, text lacks facial expression is why unlike speaking in person.. Any forum is like that.

Wise arses are always misunderstood on these here internets. :)

I don't care about using more pellets. The main problem I have with stove mode other than that it doesn't restart, is that it doesn't control room temp. We have a window wall that faces South. It has thermal glass that allows the sun to heat indoors depending on its angle. I and my wife don't like it too hot. We actually contemplated a coal stove as coal is cheap here and has more BTU per pound than pellets, but passed due to the lack of auto restart and ash generation.
Ya, I considered A coal stoker stove from Reading since we were used to coal. But the lack of small cuts of coal in this area stopped the stoker idea and then the wife stated she thought coal was under fire by the feds. So we went pellets. I quit wood burning nearly 40 years ago and switched to coal more than 35 years ago ( actually 1979 I believe it was). Kind of fun being back with wood in a different format so to speak.

Wise arses are always misunderstood on these here internets. :)
Hey there are so many little wise cracks I could make in person and someone not be offended by it ( or maybe even so then) but here it's tough to pull off. They can't see your natural horns growing on your head here or your full expression of kidding though lovable here.. They can easily just take it as a brash comment.

Ya, I considered A coal stoker stove from Reading since we were used to coal. But the lack of small cuts of coal in this area stopped the stoker idea and then the wife stated she thought coal was under fire by the feds. So we went pellets. I quit wood burning nearly 40 years ago and switched to coal more than 35 years ago ( actually 1979 I believe it was). Kind of fun being back with wood in a different format so to speak.
If I thought it'd p*** the feds off I'd burn coal in the back yard and have a coal cook stove. In actuality out here in God's country we have no rules. I COULD burn coal 24/7 or have a smoke dragon to boot and suffer no consequences. It has its plusses and minuses. You wanna see cars up on blocks in the front yard and more than three dogs under a porch I'll take you for a ride down the road.

Oh, you made your point alright, in exactly the manner you meant. I have had enough crap happen the last 2 years, I won't take it from you when you have no idea the circumstances, what you are talking about in my case, and especially since it isn't warranted.

I will not let you play "poor, little, innocent misunderstood me".

Oh wait, let me make it all better by adding: /s (by the way, /s means sarcasm)

And that is the end of that as far as I am concerned.

If I thought it'd p*** the feds off I'd burn coal in the back yard and have a coal cook stove. In actuality out here in God's country we have no rules. I COULD burn coal 24/7 or have a smoke dragon to boot and suffer no consequences. It has its plusses and minuses. You wanna see cars up on blocks in the front yard and more than three dogs under a porch I'll take you for a ride down the road.
Any good trout fishing out that way ? I can over look the junk cars, they have those in Maine too but the fishing is great.

Any good trout fishing out that way ? I can over look the junk cars, they have those in Maine too but the fishing is great.
I can have my Bass Boat on any of seven lakes / ponds in under half-an-hour. Two good trout streams in fifteen or twenty minutes. Deer, racoon, possum, porcupines, bear and other fauna in the back yard.

Oh, you made your point alright, in exactly the manner you meant. I have had enough crap happen the last 2 years, I won't take it from you when you have no idea the circumstances, what you are talking about in my case, and especially since it isn't warranted.

I will not let you play "poor, little, innocent misunderstood me".

Oh wait, let me make it all better by adding: /s (by the way, /s means sarcasm)

And that is the end of that as far as I am concerned.

You posted that your recovery time with a 30k BTU stove (Hastings) wasn't an issue, though you did mention it might be somewhat affected by the 45k BTU output stove (P61A) residing in the same house.

I did find that a bit of a lopsided comparison and suggested in a wise cracking manner that it's a poor comparison to my single (1/2 the cost of either stove brand new) 25k BTU output stove, whereas you have 3X the capacity (75K). That's a nice situation you have but it bears little value as a comparison. I'm sorry that you had heating issues last year that I was not aware of.

I can have my Bass Boat on any of seven lakes / ponds in under half-an-hour. Two good trout streams in fifteen or twenty minutes. Deer, racoon, possum, porcupines, bear and other fauna in the back yard.
Nice. I have a Lowe FS I /we use for bass and trout. The obligatory OT canoe . Never go to Maine without a canoe, Northern Maine especially. Handy here on the Cape too.

Right now we just making heat though.

Last edited:
Nice. I have a Lowe FS I we for bass and trout. The obligatory OT canoe . Never go to Maine without a canoe, Northern Maine especially. Handy here on the Cape too.

Right now we just making heat though.
Just had the dog out in the riding ring for an extended ball chase and to do a few jumps. Snow but he doesn't care. Very high energy. Hates being cooped up. Cat on top of stove and another in front of it. Back to Lignetics after using up all the Big Heat experimental pellets. Wife wants me to tile a bathroom floor as I promised. . . . . .

Stove has throttled back pretty severely as it's sunny and heat is streaming through the window wall. 27::F here.

Just had the dog out in the riding ring for an extended ball chase and to do a few jumps. Snow but he doesn't care. Very high energy. Hates being cooped up. Cat on top of stove and another in front of it. Back to Lignetics after using up all the Big Heat experimental pellets. Wife wants me to tile a bathroom floor as I promised. . . . . .

Stove has throttled back pretty severely as it's sunny and heat is streaming through the window wall. 27::F here.
31 here, everything has a skim of ice on it. I went out by way of the back deck to the bird feeders and went skating across it. Then I realized that's not frost in the grass. Was wondering why it was lasting so long. Everything out there has a 1/4" sheet of ice on it. The stove is fine 73 in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.