IHP Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmer817

Jan 2, 2015
Michigan
I have a Lennox Brentwood (Bis Ultima) fireplace that I use for supplement heating. In the owners manual it specifies that "IHP wood stoves are designed for use as supplement heating and not to be used a continuous heat source". Is this for all fireplaces? I don't plan on using it as my main source of heat, but what is the reasoning? Also, what fails on these types of fireplaces? Is there a max life to these?

For continuous heating the fireplace and chimney need to be protected and rated for the higher temperature that will build up over time. There definitely are fireplaces that are capable of 24/7 heating. For example, the Heat & Glow Northstar is a clean burning EPA fireplace that is designed for full heating.

For continuous heating the fireplace and chimney need to be protected and rated for the higher temperature that will build up over time. There definitely are fireplaces that are capable of 24/7 heating. For example, the Heat & Glow Northstar is a clean burning EPA fireplace that is designed for full heating.

I'm using the double walled ASHT Secure Temp chimney. The fireplace uses refractory brick linings. What build design determines capability? What features does the Northstar have that determine that it can be used continuously? How long can mine be used? day, week, month?

I can only go by what the manufacturer has tested and rated their fireplace for. It surprised me to see that BIS has that caveat in there. Same thing for the very popular Traditions/Montecito line.

It's probably a CYA thing so when they fail like the old heatilators did they can say you just used it too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.