I'm a virgin no more.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Tree felling virgin that is!! :)

I've cut down some small trees in the past but today was my first adventure taking down some large standing dead trees. Thanks to the info here and other places along with you tube videos I went with enough knowledge ...just had to put it to practice. Came home with as many rounds as I could fit into the old F250. Some large(to me) 30+" rounds. Took my small tractor and used the bucket to lift up the trunk while I bucked it...and used the tractor to load up the truck. After splitting I guess I have about 1/2 cord or so and about 70% was dry enough to burn this year.

Thanks again to this site and the good folk here for all the help I've received.

I need a few more days like today!

MAN!!!
Used a tractor to help buck and load???

CHEATER,,,,I mean LUCKY

Nice job bro. use what makes it easy

Couldn't have gotten a big tractor in there. This is a very low profile 4X4 totally hydraulic articulated tractor...perfect for tight turns and hillsides. I kinda felt like I was cheating but the grin on my face got me over it!

...sounds like the worm has turned for bob. He'll never be the same.

I've heard of a 40 year old virgin, but I think this is the first time I have ever heard of a 300 post virgin!
I'm surprised the moderators even upgraded your forum status to "Fire Honor Society" without first checking to see if you were still a virgin. ;-)
From what source have you been getting your wood up to now? What kind of tree was it?
Congrats!

Had to resort to buying already cut/split from a person that had the most seasoned I could find (25% or so) for this year. Have not burned any of that (oak) yet as I have been using some pine scrap wood (2x2's and 2x6's) that was in a garage for years for the shoulder season. This has worked out well as we really have only needed short fires for hot water and the heat rising from the basement boiler has been enough to keep living area temps at 70 or so.

I took down 2 large (to me) trees yesterday. I am only scrounging dead trees at this point. I'm not sure but I think one was a maple and other cherry. The cherry still had bark on about 1/2 of it and the maple was totally barkless. After I get the landowners permission I plan to harvest 2 very large cherry trees that were cut down when they put in a power line...one is on the ground so not sure how good it will be since has been there awhile, the other is only partially on the ground.

Next weekend I plan to take down 2 very tall cherry in a neighbors yard...wood for next year! Hope they also fall where I want them to!

Bob, no you have your feet wet and you'll soon be cutting lots more. Just remember that each tree is different and act accordingly.

muncybob said:
Couldn't have gotten a big tractor in there. This is a very low profile 4X4 totally hydraulic articulated tractor...perfect for tight turns and hillsides. I kinda felt like I was cheating but the grin on my face got me over it!

Sounds like you got a Power Trac Tractor?

Congrats on ....The Earth Moved For You Today!! ... When it landed.

Stay Safe

Monkey Wrench said:
muncybob said:

Sounds like you got a Power Trac Tractor?

Congrats on ....The Earth Moved For You Today!! ... When it landed.

Stay Safe

Yep, that's what she is. I used to say it's name but would normally get "a what tractor?" reply. At this time it's the best investment I've ever made...hoping to add my wood boiler to that list after this winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.