I'm Back - Ceiling Box ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

khpony

Sep 28, 2019
Rociada, NM
I'm trying to determine what stove pipe (8") to buy to fix the screw up by the previous owner. I've looked the ceiling box all over and can't find a mfg name or markings on it. I understand I need to know the mfg to order the corresponding pipe. I believe the stove was installed in 2002 by an idiot and I want it right for this winter. I know I should have done it several months ago but at 71 sometimes I just need to be in the mood to do something. My wife saw to it this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_8818.JPG
    100_8818.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 100_8838.JPG
    100_8838.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 154
  • 100_8840.JPG
    100_8840.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 161
Can you see any labeling on the Class A ABOVE the ceiling support?
Are you installing a stove with an 8" flue collar?

There are absolutely no markings on the base, circular section or anywhere inside the ceiling. The stove take off is 7 5/8" iD so I'll need a stovetop adapter then the pipe then a slip joint pipe to go into the ceiling box. I bought a couple sections of 8" imperial snap lock but that's wasted money I now know!

Well that was worth the climb. The pipe coming thru the roof is Duravent Duratech HT made 3/07/2011. So If I understand things correctly I need to buy Duravent pipe? Single or double wall? I've attached 3 roof top photos.
TIA

Attachments

• 100_8841.JPG
    100_8841.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_8842.JPG
    100_8842.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_8843.JPG
    100_8843.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 139
You'll need to get the DuraVent adapter. If the stove pipe will be less than 18" away from the wall it will need to be double-wall.

I was just looking at the adapter on the net. Thanks I now know how to proceed. Just to be clear I'll be right at 18" from the tiled wall . I assume Duravent has 8" black single wall pipe right?

I was just looking at the adapter on the net. Thanks I now know how to proceed. Just to be clear I'll be right at 18" from the tiled wall . I assume Duravent has 8" black single wall pipe right?
Yes, DuraBlack. Check and make sure the stove has the proper clearances before purchasing. If not the stove may need to be brought out into the room more. A tiled wall doesn't qualify for clearance reduction unless everything behind it is non-combustible (including studs) or the tile wall is properly ventilated to NFPA 211 specs.

Is the tile painted?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. After comparing prices/availability across the net (no dealers with reasonable prices near me) I'll go with Northline Express. They have free shipping and will ship it Monday UPS or FEDEX.