I'm back, nice & warm in here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Darryl

Mar 19, 2012
Bullville, NY
Hi all, it's good to be back. I joined this site somewhere back in '07, right before I bought and installed my first pellet stove, an Englander 25pdvc. Did a ton of research, and the stove install was a breeze! I had a problem with burning way too many pellets at first, but a phone call from the man, the myth, the legend....Mike Holton, had me straightened out toot sweet. I was heating my entire house, a 1,200 sq ft, 1 story ranch, with the pdvc. Three tons a season did me just fine, never had to use the oil burner once, what a savings and way much better heat....no cold feet while relaxing on the couch at night watching the tube. That stove stayed with the house when we left, and last year was our first winter in our new-to-us home....which has electric heat. The electric bills were astronomical last winter, and it wasn't very comfortable, sometimes downright cold in the house. Three weeks ago I bought a new, 25pdv and all the necessary goodies, built a hearth pad, and installed her. Problems right from the start.....the flame would start out nice, but after a few hours the entire firebox was full of flame, and only on heat range 1! I made three calls to Englander, talked twice to Devin, who helped me with all of his knoweldge, and after sending me some new parts that he thought was causing the problem, I still couldn't control this beast. No air leaks....did the dollar bill test more times than I'd like to confess, lol, spent many hours on here searching and reading, messed around with the first two numbers of the bottom three, as per my tech conversations, but still had a massive fire in the stove after a few hours....uncontrollable! On my third call to Englander, the voice on the other end said " Good morning, this is Mike, how can I help you?" That's right, Mike Holton....yessss!!! I explained everything to him, and after about 30 minutes of our conversation he came up with a theory, which to me made total sense. He said that he thought the top auger, after the stove runnung for a bit with everything heated up, wasn't coming to a full stop during it's cycle, but slowing down and running over just a bit every time. This would add too many pellets to the burn pot over and over, which would add up to the huge, uncontrollable flame. In two days I had a brand new auger motor waiting for me when I got home from work, I installed it, and viola.....we've tamed the beast! Sorry for the long, drawn out blabbering, and to make a long story short.........I know that nothing in this world is ever perfect, and parts do fail, but I will recommend Englander stoves to anyone who asks. Their customer service is top notch, their techs will be there to the end if need be, and for $1,500 I have a beautiful pellet stove that will keep my family toasty warm.....and keep the electric company at bay! Thanks Mike, Devin, and Englander for all your help, and for making such great products....customer for life here! Here's a few pics of my girl....
20181019-151656.jpg

20181019-151640.jpg

Welcome back. Glad they helped you figure out the issue, so you can eliminate those high electric heat bills. Stay warm. kap