I'm cold...and my stove isn't getting installed today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhpsu93

Hearth Supporter
Nov 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
It hasn't snowed in Baltimore all year and it picks the day I was supposed to have my Hearthstone Phoenix installed, to snow. >:-(

Guess the guys can't climb on my slate roof in the snow!

Now we're waiting until Saturday. It's going to be spring before this #%#$ thing is done. Ugh!

I feel for you. It would be nice to have it up and burning.

However, let me throw some caution to you. Hopefully you have some wood that has been cut, split and stacked for a long time. If not, I'd highly suggest you either get some cut or buy some ASAP. Get it split and stacked so it has all spring, summer and fall for seasoning.

There are too many who buy the stove, install it and even put up a new chimney....and then the go looking for fuel. You can get by with that if you are burning oil or gas, but with wood, you just can't buy good seasoned wood for burning. There seem to be an overabundance of people who sell what they call seasoned wood, but it just is not. Then the stove won't burn like it should, chimneys clog, etc., etc. Then people become discouraged with this wood burning thing and they quit and are out thousands of dollars. Such a shame.

Good luck.

Yes, we have some wood that was supposedly "seasoned" delivered in October (that we've been burning in our other fireplace with mixed results since then). I would call it mediocre at best, so we'll be only burning moderately in the stove for the rest of this year.

One thing this forum has taught me is to get your wood a year in advance, so I'll be getting wood for next year soon which I'll season properly.

Thanks for the words!

Status
Not open for further replies.