I'm done worrying!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NH_Wood

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 24, 2009
southern NH
Okay - when my stove would reach a little over 600*, I'd basically turn into a worrying ball of nervousness (going above 600* 'seems' to be higher than this stove should run at, but....no actual numbers available from the manufacturer to indicate how hot is too hot). But.....during the past few days, with temps now in the single digits at night, my draft is strong and the stove, when completely shut down (and pipe damper basically closed) the stove wants to hit a peak of ~ 625-650 stove top. It's just how my stove wants to work. No cracked stones, no pile of rubble in the morning, just a warm house and plenty of coals for reload. So, unless I see a 7 in front of my stove top temp, I'm done worrying about getting above 600*. Time to just enjoy a stove that is pumping out some serious heat. Cheers!

I actually wonder about that number myself. They, the company actually reccomend a "high burn rate" twice a day. By their definition that would be a full load in the stove and the air control open completely. They say that the stove top temps may reach "as high as " 600 degrees. Then it says to not exceed the temperatures as stated in the burn rate. Basicly that means we should reach 600 or so twice a day.

As long as you are not above your 625-650 mark for extended periods of time I think you are worrying over nothing. Of course I could be wrong. I personally seem to top out, with a full load and the main control CLOSED, at 525-550. I don't think I would ever run this beast with a full load, wide open, I do wonder what what temps I would hit, but hey thats me.

Shawneyboy - I also don't wish to find out what would happen to the stove with a full load and wide open primary, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'd fine! I wish my stove topped out where your stove does, but, different set up and different results. Thanks! Cheers!

I doubt you'll have any problems. Good that you stop worrying. Now you can enjoy the heat!

I get mine into the 550 to 600 range quite a bit, no problems here. I like the flame show when its hot and the fire looks like it has a pulse to it. It really puts out the heat at thoes temps.

It's too dang warm here for me to load my new Mansfield to see what it'll do. Winter has deserted us here on the front range of the rockies - it's barely getting below 30* overnight and it's nearly 60* during the days! Last night I put in a small load of oak (3 splits) and my house hit 75* quickly. The stove top was only 400*. I can't wait for a good cold night so I can load the beast up.

Hi NH, sorry to be off topic here but what is a Bombardier Outlander?

FyreBug said:
Hi NH, sorry to be off topic here but what is a Bombardier Outlander?

4b74-1.JPG

I am wondering how you are measuring the stovetop heat, and whether or not your thermometer is like mine. A bimetallic spring is not going to be very accurate. My Inferno stove top thermometer is 100 degrees high, right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.