I'm going to rebuild my stove next summer. Should I replace the cat now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a VC Large Winter Warm, installed in mid-90's. Since the stove was installed I've been what you might call a "recreational" burner, but I'm getting serious this year. It's a bit leaky, but usable. I can easily keep the fires under control. At the end of this heating season I'm going to rebuild the stove, clean the chimney, etc.

I've never replaced the cat. Would it be advisable to replace it now, or should I wait until it's rebuilt and sealed up better?

Engage the cat, wait 10 minutes and go outside to check the emissions. if clear, then the cat is still good. Better still, pop the throat hoods out, move the lower fire back forward at the top, remove the refractory plug and inspect your combustor. Clean any fly ash and vacuum the pockets..

Dude, thanks for the reply.

1. I have not checked the emissions, but I will tomorrow. Based on this test, I'm led to believe that even if the stove is good and hot and the damper is closed, it will smoke if the cat is expired. Is this correct?

2. I did disassemble the back of the stove. The pockets were sock full of ash which was causing the stove to smoke when the damper was closed. (Yikes! I've been a bad stove owner!) All cleaned out now. The cat was intact and actually pretty clean. Can a visible inspection yield clues to the cat's effectiveness?

3. Assuming the cat needs replaced, is there anything to be gained by putting in a new one now, even though the stove leaks (not too bad, but still needs some attention).

Thanks.

If the stove seems to come up to temp and there is little or no smoke the cat is still good. If not replace it or you will lose efficiency and create creosote. It's hard to tell if it's bad by just a visual unless it's crumbled or cracked.

Tudorman said:
At the end of this heating season I'm going to rebuild the stove, clean the chimney, etc.

I really don't know much at all about a cat stove since I've never owned one but I saw something at the end of your post that worried me. Since you are admitting to being a 'bad' stove owner (lol) and all, I'm wondering how long it's been since your last chimney inspection. PLEASE clean that chimney out now. Do not wait till the end of the heating season.

Prada said:
Tudorman said:
At the end of this heating season I'm going to rebuild the stove, clean the chimney, etc.

I really don't know much at all about a cat stove since I've never owned one but I saw something at the end of your post that worried me. Since you are admitting to being a 'bad' stove owner (lol) and all, I'm wondering how long it's been since your last chimney inspection. PLEASE clean that chimney out now. Do not wait till the end of the heating season.
Thanks for the concern. I'm shopping for the cleaning tools now. I've done a visual inspection of the chimney and it looks fine. The stove was installed in a new masonry chimney which drafts like a mother and the accumulated total use is probably less than a single heating season. I dump the ashes into a 15 gallon metal can which I think I've filled four times, maybe five. This is also why I'm thinking the cat may still be good - it just hasn't seen much use. You are right though, and I will be cleaning the flue soon, just to be safe.

Last night, when the stove was very hot, I closed the damper. After turning off all the fans in the room to make it quite, I swore I heard an "afterburner" sound coming from the back of the insert. Might that have been the secondary, post-cat combustion? Does anybody else hear this on their stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.