I'm so glad I didn't "summerize" the stove yet!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailrace

Sep 25, 2007
Bullville NY
With a couple days in the 80's last week I figured burning season was over, and I was going to do the end of season cleaning on the stove, man am I gald I didn't. We had a pretty cold night two nights ago, and a heavy frost last night, and it's kinda chilly out there right now, so the ol' Englander has been running the past two nights, and right now. Nice and toasty...that's the way I like it!

We had snow today - albeit light. I just had my stove installed today, so I'm actually glad it's been cold so I could test it out.

North of PA it's never really over, just on Sabbatical. I don't clean mine until around the first week of June. There is never a Memorial Day weekend that I haven't seen some sort of cold rain, just enough to need to knock the chill off in the evening.

Heck, even in the south we're having weird weather. After days of being in the 70's and 80's it plummeted back into the 30's the night before last. 40 something out there now. Glad I hadn't done a spring cleaning on mine either!

After a week in Florida (70-90 degrees) we came back to 38 degrees in Southern Maine. The house was a chilly 53 so it took a while for the pellet stove to heat the place up. I just checked my records and I burned 5 bags of pellets in May 2007. Looks like we're on track for something similar this year.

Tailrace said:
With a couple days in the 80's last week I figured burning season was over, and I was going to do the end of season cleaning on the stove, man am I gald I didn't. We had a pretty cold night two nights ago, and a heavy frost last night, and it's kinda chilly out there right now, so the ol' Englander has been running the past two nights, and right now. Nice and toasty...that's the way I like it!

I was thinking the same thing.... it was 29 here this am. Trouble is, I'm on my last bag of pellets so it better warm up!

I summerized mine last weekend. Two hours of cleaning . Had to run my forced air gas furness for an hour the last 3 days to warm up the house. First real action she has seen in 3 years.

"Summerized" mine about ten days ago. No regrets.
I'd rather not be turning the stove on and off for the
couple of times I've needed heat since then.
Just used oil for those two times and that was only
for 7 hours each time (two cold nights).

Status
Not open for further replies.