I'm through with rounds this size.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
While they make a ton of splits the work is horrendous.Check out these oak and cherry rounds.
Last rounds.jpg
last rounds 1.jpg

Reactions: Blazing
I hear you. I spent a few hours today splitting maple rounds about that size by hand. It's the kind of thing that happens when you agree to take free wood after only seeing a picture. I try not to deal with stuff that large anymore if I can help it. It's just not that fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a log about 15' long at about the same diameter laying in my front yard that I'm not looking forward to tackling.

I have a log about 15' long at about the same diameter laying in my front yard that I'm not looking forward to tackling.

Most wood is easier to split before it's sat around too long so don't delay!

I like splitting wood so the rounds don't last too long around here. Right now I'm completely out of stuff to split. Which is probably a good thing since I'm also out of decent places to stack it!

Although inexperienced with a hydraulic splitter, I would think working the edges rather than trying to center split might make better progress. Swinging an axe or maul in this way is much easier to me.

As far as doing this with a hydraulic splitter, you're making me scratch my head right now.....

Rounds that size are my wood heat bread n butter...if I didn't take the big stuff no one else wants, I don't think I'd have the time to scrounge up enough otherwise...they don't bother me much having the tools/equipment to handle them for the most part though...would freeze or hafta pay the oil man! !!!
The biggest we have taken was the bottom section of a VERY large 200+ YO Maple that was taken down at a local school...a nearby store was going to have a chainsaw carver make some stuff out of it for them so the contractor that took the tree down left this trunk section behind...turned out is was hollow and couldn't be used. They couldn't get anybody to take it until we volunteered. We couldn't pick it up with a 5000# forklift...did manage to get it loaded onto a dump trailer with some creative maneuvering. Once home we set out to section it into rounds...most of it was doable due to the hollow center, but the areas that were solid clear through couldn't quite be cut off using a 36" bar on a Stihl 660...that's over 6' in diameter for those bad at math! :eek:
Unfortunately I don't have pics of it anymore...:(

As far as doing this with a hydraulic splitter, you're making me scratch my head right now.....
Well, what can I say? I saw the image posted by ohlongarm with the splitter's wedge aimed directly at the center of the round and saw by rotating a bit and sliding sideways the wedge would take a less demanding approach (working an edge). As stated, my experiences are with old style swinging tools.

That ain't big. If it ain't over 1000 lb. per round, it's "medium". ;lol

Like brenndatomu, most of what I get is over 40" diameter. I don't own my own harvest land, so I'm taking mostly what others don't want. That tends to be a lot of very big stuff. It sucks, in how much they beat you up, but it's some sort of sick fun at the same time. I've had single rounds produce over 1/3 cord.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Well, what can I say? I saw the image posted by ohlongarm with the splitter's wedge aimed directly at the center of the round and saw by rotating a bit and sliding sideways the wedge would take a less demanding approach (working an edge). As stated, my experiences are with old style swinging tools.

Swinging tools don't have a wedge in a fixed position. I know what you're trying to say by working the edges, but it doesn't really work that way with something that big on a hydraulic splitter

Although inexperienced with a hydraulic splitter, I would think working the edges rather than trying to center split might make better progress. Swinging an axe or maul in this way is much easier to me.

That splitter will handle anything 10 years old the best I've ever used,34 ton ,9hp.I see no sense splitting rounds this size by hand.I split small 12-18 inch pieces. that way on occasion.

Last hurrah with big rounds.
Man, that is a lot of wood. I took a red oak that was about 60 ft tall and 32 inches across at the base earlier this year. It was about 3 cords.
Its hard to pass those up!

I often remind myself why I started this woodstove journey. It was to save a buck and heat my home. I did not sign up to spend large amounts of money with limited return or risk breaking my back or worst injury. I too will pass on rounds over 20" and prefer the low hanging fruit. Stay safe and save your money for other adventure.

Reactions: beatlefan
I often remind myself why I started this woodstove journey. It was to save a buck and heat my home. I did not sign up to spend large amounts of money with limited return or risk breaking my back or worst injury. I too will pass on rounds over 20" and prefer the low hanging fruit. Stay safe and save your money for other adventure.
I've got to agree with Lakeside on this one. Now that I'm older, the risk vs. reward just isn't worth it. Two back surgeries were enough for me. I'll leave the big stuff for the young guys.

Reactions: Lakeside
Rounds that size are my wood heat bread n butter...if I didn't take the big stuff no one else wants, I don't think I'd have the time to scrounge up enough otherwise...they don't bother me much having the tools/equipment to handle them for the most part though...would freeze or hafta pay the oil man! !!!
The biggest we have taken was the bottom section of a VERY large 200+ YO Maple that was taken down at a local school...a nearby store was going to have a chainsaw carver make some stuff out of it for them so the contractor that took the tree down left this trunk section behind...turned out is was hollow and couldn't be used. They couldn't get anybody to take it until we volunteered. We couldn't pick it up with a 5000# forklift...did manage to get it loaded onto a dump trailer with some creative maneuvering. Once home we set out to section it into rounds...most of it was doable due to the hollow center, but the areas that were solid clear through couldn't quite be cut off using a 36" bar on a Stihl 660...that's over 6' in diameter for those bad at math! :eek:
Unfortunately I don't have pics of it anymore...:(

Wowee. I have a couple crosscut saws that I use to get at middles of huge stuff, but I believe that tree would have been too big for even them.

If you ever wonder how they came up with the idea for a chainsaw, cut a couple big rounds with an old crosscut saw and you will be enlightened. ==c

Reactions: redktmrider
Wowee. I have a couple crosscut saws that I use to get at middles of huge stuff, but I believe that tree would have been too big for even them.

If you ever wonder how they came up with the idea for a chainsaw, cut a couple big rounds with an old crosscut saw and you will be enlightened. ==c

If you've ever used one that's not rusty, well lubed and, especially important, well sharpened, you might be surprised how fast a big crosscut saw can cut. There's definitely a skill and rhythm to it though. Interesting factoid: While logging the towering giants of the Pacific Northwest before power saws, guess what non-management job position in a logging camp earned the highest wage. Yep, the saw sharpener. The sharpener didn't work the hardest or the longest but he made a lot more money because sharpening the saws to perfection was absolutely critical to reach the highest production of board feet. And not anyone could do it, it took a certain knowledge and a knack. Almost like black magic. Different portions of the saw were filed differently. All hand filed. A great saw sharpener could greatly increase the production of the entire camp.