Important question! which would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
Wanna get some more pellets....
Thinking a half ton from 2 of the following 4 brands

Okies, hot hamers, Vermont wood pellets, and cubex

I know okies are hot! (boy are they!) But all are claiming 8700+ btus
I have never tried the last 3 so which would you suggest?

Very tough questions as there all good pellets IMHO. Do a mix of all 4 so you can try em all. Pick the best of what you stove likes for next season.

Price also has a factor in the mix. It might help with the voting!

I actually haven't been as impressed with the Okanagan's as I have with the Hamer's and Barefoots that I bought last Spring. Way too much ash on the Oaks, so much that I don't care to buy them again - plus they smell like puke... The Hamer's are as hot or hotter than the Oaks and have such little ash it's crazy. The Barefoots are a close second behind the Hamer's luv em!

okies are a great pellet and i like them a real lot. but i would go with the price but if cubex were the same i would buy those before okies in a flash.

And they smell better! i still cant believe people think okies dont smell like puke!

Has anyone seen reviews for this years hamers?
I didn't see jt with a hamers review and the other sites review is from 09

For me, Cubex hands down..!!

Cubex ...

IMHO Oakies are raved about on this site. And it is THE site for knowledge of pellets. Oakies ran into me on a platter this year from the local stove shop guy. He raves about them but for me they might be a little hotler (not much) than box store pellets(if you buy the right ones). I've burnt 1 ton of Oakies and they haven't burnt me out of the house yet. Clinkers(could just be my stove), lots of fines(more than the box stores). Just saying...IMHO

I have burned both the Vermont's and Cubex (actually Northerns but same company/pellet from what I have read). I liked them both. Being from Vermont, and the plant is about 15 miles from me I want to say get the Vermont's. The one downfall to the Vermont's that I can see is that they seem to really burn fast. THey burn hot, but fast. I have a P61a and I can fill the hopper (72lbs) on real cold nights and still have half the hopper or more of Northerns vs. having to add more of the Vermont's. I posted about this about a month ago and was told it was due to the density....

I guess all of those brands are pretty good, i would base my decision on price. Locally here I can pick up Vt's for $236.50/ton and Northerns for $235/ton. I'm thinking one of those 2 brands will be in my stove next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.