Impressed so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbova

Dec 13, 2011
Barrington, NH
I got my second hand Harman Advance installed just after Thanksgiving. Been running in room temp with the distribution blower set low during the day and up at night to move the heat around. My wife is home most of the time with our youngest. When she goes back to work (very soon) this may change to a thermostat with timer. My house is new, 1 year old 2000 sqft colonial (drive under garage). Open first floor layout and 4 bedrooms upstairs. When I bought the stove I was figuring I would use it to supplement the first floor but use the propane for upstairs. The stove did well enough that I have both propane thermostats set to 58 and they haven't come on since (not even close).

Last night was the coldest here in NH since we've had the stove, probably around 5°F overnight. I have it set to about 72 which ends up being about 68-70 in the opposite corner of the first floor. That ends up being 65-67 upstairs, a little warm for me but the missus likes it warmer than me. Of coarse my tweenage daughter needs her door closed so it was probably chilly in there but that's her call. I did open her door when I went to bed.

Still right about a bag a day for consumption, usually less. Can't complain about that. Have a ton of LG Granules and a ton of non-box store MWP's and I can't tell the difference in ash/performance. At $35 less per ton, I think you know what my next ton will be.

My only annoyance so far is the constant blower noise especially when the wife and I are watching SOA after the kids go to bed, nature of the beast though.

Last edited:
After about a month, I have finally been able to tune out the blower noise. With my insert, I get a bit of a rattle once in a while from the cast iron vibrations. I have been looking for some sort of hi temp pads that I can put between the joints...kind of like the ones you put under chairs to protect a hardwood floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.