Improving block chimney appearence...ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Back again hope all is well. Got a vacation coming up and I wanted to reface my chimney inexpensively. I have about 6 ft of exposed block chimney. I've seen these faux panels for fascia but there $70ea and I would need 5-6. Anyone have any ideas for a less expensive route? Just wanted a brick or stone apperence.

I just bought Corning's Cultures stone to cover concrete walls inside my addition. One part is the back of my concrete chimney.
Its not cheap, but easy to apply and looks just like the real deal. Its roughly about $6.10 to $6.50 per sf.
For what you have it shouldn't be a ton of cash. I paid $2,450.00 for 360 sf. which is 4 large boxes on pallets.
They sell packs that are small boxes, which is what you would want to buy as one pallet is prolly too much.
I plan on doing the block chimney portion outside the house with it also when I get the addition done and out of the way.

Gray,

You can use Thoroseal and it would give you a stucco look. Mix iit thick and apply with a brush and as it starts to set, float it with a rubber float. Can't help on the brick or stone.

Jim

jbrown56 said:
Gray,

You can use Thoroseal and it would give you a stucco look. Mix iit thick and apply with a brush and as it starts to set, float it with a rubber float. Can't help on the brick or stone.

Jim

This sounds pretty good. I was thinking fake stone and never considered a coating. Thanks!

Cheapest way would be to collect some thin fieldstone and face the chimney with it. You would only suffer the cost of the mortar.

Status
Not open for further replies.