In case you were feeling too good about your woodsmanship...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

My first thought when watching this was, thank goodness for chainsaws! I wonder how much wood gets wasted when you use an ax to buck a log.

The splitting technique was interesting, but my toes cringed at the prospect of me trying something like that. !!!

Wasteful.
I can get the same feeling just by hand splitting. I buck it up with a chainsaw, then I can get all touchy-feely when I split and stack.

Reactions: p16209
I love firing up the chainsaw with a Camel in my mouth and a cold one on the stump behind me. The stink of the 2 stroke. This seems like real work! :)
I go to the gym to workout,,not the woods.

Reactions: Allagash350
at least you will have lots of kindling :) you could just fill your stove with chips and let it burn!

Reactions: St. Coemgen
Reactions: sportbikerider78
enjoyed your mastery of the Ax sir, and the fact that you still have complete lower extremities.

If I wasn't a maul guy with 40yrs of practice I might try this.

Don't think you need a gym if you do this regularly.

Beautiful felling cuts too

For me, I have an office job so I try to make cutting wood both exercise and enjoyment. Plus it heats the house! I always feel better when my day starts with cutting wood...

For me, I have an office job so I try to make cutting wood both exercise and enjoyment. Plus it heats the house! I always feel better when my day starts with cutting wood...
i am seriously thinking about taking a lunch break to go rev up the chainsaw....

GAWD!! My hat is certainly off to you. Impressive piece of work, though I shudder to think about the 'chips to logs' ratio!

I've got a mark on the side of my saw for the max length of wood my stove can take. Any log bigger than 5-6 inches, I give it a quick eyeball against the mark, so I know I'm making the longest logs / fewest cuts / least amount of sawdust waste possible. Seems like even a single man buck saw would still get you the DIY / no power tool "gold star", but save a little more of mother nature's hard work. Wood don't grow on trees, ya know! ... oh....wait...