In dire need of a stove installer/servicer/seller in my area!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok. But I can’t find a dealer near FL to buy from, and dealers in CA, where I’m at at the moment, won’t sell to me.
Ok again that is because the stove market in Florida is going to be small. It just isn't going to support many dealers at all. Are you saying that dealers in CA won't let you cash and carry a stove? Or that they won't ship to your house in Florida

Ok again that is because the stove market in Florida is going to be small. It just isn't going to support many dealers at all. Are you saying that dealers in CA won't let you cash and carry a stove? Or that they won't ship to your house in Florida
Neither. I’ve tried with three Lopi dealers.

Neither. I’ve tried with three Lopi dealers.
I am surprised they won't do cash and carry if they have something in stock. I am not surprised they won't order in and ship something

I get that the industry is limited in FL, but I’m within an hour of AL, 3 from GA and LA. People use stoves and fireplaces here.

I get that the industry is limited in FL, but I’m within an hour of AL, 3 from GA and LA. People use stoves and fireplaces here.
Yes of course people do. Just not that many people and not that often. That means a smaller market and many fewer dealers sweeps installers etc

In the beginning, you recommended PE Alderlea T5 and Lopi, which I now like the T5. I have not checked Drolet.
The Alderlea T5 is not an inexpensive stove. It will cost more than an Osburn with the same-sized firebox. Is $3,500 for the stove within the budget? There is no online option that I know of for PE stoves anymore. They are only sold by dealers now. You have found a PE dealer but no word yet. With daytime temps approaching 70º, what is the rush? I would just skip trying to get this taken care of until the winter rush has calmed down. That could be in a few weeks in FL.

Reactions: bholler
The Alderlea T5 is not an inexpensive stove. It will cost more than an Osburn with the same-sized firebox. Is $3,500 for the stove within the budget? There is no online option that I know of for PE stoves anymore. They are only sold by dealers now. You have found a PE dealer but no word yet. With daytime temps approaching 70º, what is the rush? I would just skip trying to get this taken care of until the winter rush has calmed down. That could be in a few weeks in FL.
Yes, no rush for the stove, per se’, however my remodel contractor (me too) needs the ceiling and wall surround finished off, so at the very least the ceiling support box and class A piping needs to get done, very soon. I think we will be able to progress towards this part, provided I find the right “hearth” person will be able to buy the parts and do the job, which I think I may have found someone this am; we’ll see.

My husband is juggling trips back and forth, trying to keep the remodel flowing. He just got back to CA from FL last week, and he’s beat. He will be returning at the end of February, beginning of March. We just thought if we couldn’t buy a good stove in FL, maybe we could buy one in CA and take it back with us. We just haven't able to make the buy here or there.

I’m now looking at Osburn, again. Trying to figure out which model comes closest to the PE T5 and the Lopi Evergreen. It may come down to the "course of least resistance", if we can find the course to take. I just want to make the best choice.

Thanks for your input!

Got it, the remodel is the pressure. Look at the Osburn 2000. It will get the job done. This is the Osburn version of the popular 1800 Escape. It lists at $2700 with black door and legs. If your dealer is an Osburn dealer he may be able to order the Drolet 1800 Escape if the cost is too high. There's no harm in asking. The Drolet 1500 or Columbia would also work.

Wood stoves weigh about 3-400# in this size and they are large when crated. It's not something that is usually loaded as extra baggage.

Reactions: zephyr0512
Got it, the remodel is the pressure. Look at the Osburn 2000. It will get the job done. This is the Osburn version of the popular 1800 Escape. It lists at $2700 with black door and legs. If your dealer is an Osburn dealer he may be able to order the Drolet 1800 Escape if the cost is too high. There's no harm in asking. The Drolet 1500 or Columbia would also work.

Wood stoves weigh about 3-400# in this size and they are large when crated. It's not something that is usually loaded as extra baggage.
What about the Kuma? How do they stack up amoungst all these manufacturers? My husband has been looking at this company, their stoves, and finds that they will sell directly to us and ship it. It’s under $3k.

Kuma makes good catalytic stoves. They are a small company with direct customer support.

Reactions: zephyr0512
It isn't just Florida.

I've had very similar problems here in the Seattle area. Dealers and sweeps don't return calls, or don't want to work in my 45-minutes-from-downtown-Seattle rural area. From their POV, stoves are harder to find than customers. After 3 months of trying, I might have found one sweep company that will sell and install a stove.

Availability is limited and prices are very high. That might improve during the warm weather, but with the limited view of the relevant parts of the supply chain that most of us have, it's hard to know that prices won't be higher next summer.
That’s hard to imagine, being the Pac NW, where one would think the Hearth industry is thriving. We broadened our search to include HVAC company’s, and were able to find someone who knew someone, etc, who was part of a Hearth company that didn’t really advertise as such, but were going strong on sweeps and installs, remodels. The biggest Hearth company here, DoodleBuggers, with a specific chimney sweep and install business, were the ones who would not respond to calls or emails, until I finally got an employees personal number by chance and called direct. This person took all my information, discussed what I wanted and stated that she would get right back with me with stove options and pricing, set up a date and time to access the work, etc, has yet to call back, and that’s been a week now. That’s ok, we’ve got a plan of action.

We are going with Kuma, and they will have it delivered to FL within 4-6 wks from the time of order. We will place the order hopefully Monday, maybe tomorrow. Exciting to us! We were able to find a Lopi dealer who would cash and carry a floor model, but the price was about twice what they cost at other dealers who would not sell us one unless we had it installed by them! We foud a dealer who could order us a PE Alderlea T5, but we would have to buy it, wait 6-8 weeks and then take it to FL ourselves, which we didn’t really want to do. So, as it turns out we found the Kuma and fell in love with this stove!

Keep plugging at it, something will turn up.

I was surprised, too, particularly since there are three manufacturers (BK, Lopi, PE) relatively nearby. Lopi stoves are a bit too small. PE's website claims EPA2020, but the EPA site disagrees. Kuma's stoves are also a bit small, but maybe possible. The size and features of the BK Princess PE32 are in the sweet spot. Two of the BK dealers would sell a stove, but neither would install it. One of them suggested a particular roofing company for the install; they bid based on a B-vent and said they didn't know what "Class A" meant. The other dealers wouldn't sell a stove unless they install it, and they won't install in my area. Tried all of the sweep companies listed in the CSIA page. Most never returned calls or emails. One bid a Regency F5200 with a 6" single wall pipe (explicitly not acceptable to Regency) and a non-code-compliant galvanized single wall chimney, and stopped returning calls when I questioned it. They are now sending me bills for their "free" estimate.

BK, Lopi, and PE are all close enough that I could pick up a stove at the factory if they sold direct. Kuma sells direct, but I still would not have an installer.

Finally found one sweep company that is a possibility. There's a yellow flag; still investigating. Cost is eye-watering - around $11K for one installed BK Princess, including all new double wall pipe.

There is some value in knowing that problems like these are not unique to my area.

Congrats on finding the Kuma.

Well, I guess my husband and I should prepare oursleves for tomorrow’s accessement, details and pricing. Our contractor is keenly aware of our budgeting ability, and so is our Hearth installer, who is a fair person who wants to maintain a good reputation and keep business flowing. It’s actually a good thing that we are buying straight from the manufacturer and direct hiring the Hearth contractor, so we are keeping things clean and straight forward. Besides, we want it done and we will find a way to get it done, and the industry knows this. Find a smooth way to make it work for both sides!

Called the sweep company and said I wanted to go ahead with the project. New problem: they want me to pay them in advance for 75% of the cost of the stove and materials. They are a small family business. If anything happens to them I'd be out more than $6K with no recourse. Already went through a smaller version of that a year ago when a company shut down due to the owner's long COVID.
Wow, that’s a lot up front money, 75%. We couldn’t do that.

We were taken advantage of over a year ago, ripped off is more appropriately stated. So called contractor we hired to have exterior work on our home done. He took nearly $17k up front, did shotty work, left every part of the work unfinished and not to code. He never got the permit worked out. My husband had to go back and forth from FL to CA during the time the work was being done and while gone the contractor stopped working. We had to get the States Attorneys Office to investigate. This contractor, Ernest W. Adams, aka “Sketter,” lied about everything. He showed us, and five other neighbors he worked for, credentials that were fabricated and all false. The buiding inspector and States Attorney Investigator found that the guy had a record with over thirty arrests, even served prison time for doing the same thing in OK, TX, AL and FL. They issued a warrant for his arrest about six months ago, but he’s still at large.

We’re out $17k plus, more like 20k, and all of the work he started and did, it’s all wrong and has to be redone. He caused over $60k worth of damages to our home. We now have a “real” contractor, and we’re waiting for the architect and engineer to finish the plans for all the roof extensions, and get the permits. Our new contractor started work months ago, and he will not take a dime up front. We had all new windows installed, which we paid for the windows (160 mph, hurricane rated) and had them delivered. Our contractor installed them and at the half way point took a draw of half his labor. He is finishing the brick work on the last window now, and says "when everything is complete and passes inspections, then I will request final payment for the window work only."

In the meantime, he is doing other intensive work, like redoing the fireplace, and getting things ready for our new stove iinstall, installing new interior doors, redoing the ceilings, etc, with NO MONEY up front. He says that’s the way it’s supposed to be. Some contractor’s take a small upfront amount, but usually no more than half. 75% is a lot I think. I would make certain you validate this contractors credentials. You can verify is licensure and insurance up front, for one thing. All payments in a taceable format, like a personal check or bank check. Any contractor is supposed to provide you with a copy of their license, insurance and credential documents, like liability forms, business card, etc, at the time of contract, and yes a valid contract. Due diligence on your part. We learned the hard way.