In-Efficient Jotul Stove - Needs Re-Gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepingWarmWithWood

Jan 27, 2013
We have a Jotul F 600 Firelight CB stove that is about 5 years old. This year it is burning through wood at a significant pace. A lot more inefficient then ever in the past. Do I need to re-gasket it? If so, does anyone know how I go about doing this?

If you can largely control the stove with the air inlet, then it may not be the gasket.

Still, after 5 years, some of them (or the latches) may need adjustment. You should try the dollar bill test - when stove if off, close the door(s) on a dollar bill and see how easy you can pull it out. It should give some resistance.

Others can say if there is adjustment in the latches....that's usually the first step. Also, if the glass gasket is worn, the door will usually have large black marks and streaks in areas that did not have them before.

It's also much colder this year (lately) than before, which means much more wood.

Alternatively to new gaskets - or, in addition, you might consider a turn damper for the stove pipe which you might leave in a certain position to somewhat quiet the chimney draft.

OK thank you! I never thought to look at the latches and there is certainly black on the glass. It certainly has been much colder lately and we go through so much wood. I have a 3k plus sq foot, 225 year old drafty house so we need a lot to keep it warm. Any idea how I could go about checking to see if the gasket needs to be replaced? We used to be able to turn the damper down and it would last all night now it doesn't come even close

OK thank you! I never thought to look at the latches and there is certainly black on the glass. It certainly has been much colder lately and we go through so much wood. I have a 3k plus sq foot, 225 year old drafty house so we need a lot to keep it warm. Any idea how I could go about checking to see if the gasket needs to be replaced? We used to be able to turn the damper down and it would last all night now it doesn't come even close

As Webbie pointed out, when the stove is cool take a dollar bill and close it in the door. Pull the dollar out and the gasket should hold it pretty tight, it should not be too easy. Do this in several spots around the door to check the gasket.

OK will do once it warms up a little outside and the stove is cool. Curious if there is a forum here where you can look to purchase used stoves? Thanks again for the quick responses!

OK will do once it warms up a little outside and the stove is cool. Curious if there is a forum here where you can look to purchase used stoves? Thanks again for the quick responses!
Don't be too quick to replace the stove. It's one of the best stoves on the market. Gaskets will need to be replaced every few years, if you've had it for five years and haven't re-gasketed, then that's likely the problem.

Reactions: PapaDave
OK thank you. One more question (sorry); these stoves have an option for a blower right? Is it worth purchasing and easy to install? Thanks again!

It 's easy to install. You will have to purchase a rear heat shield to go along with it. Not sure how well they do though. Are using fans to help move the heat currently?

No, I have never used any sort of fan system to move air. The new kits are pretty expensive it looks like. Is there something else I should try first?

You should place a fan or two a distance from the stove. Point the fan toward the stove, this moves the cold, dense air out of the outlying rooms, allowing warm air to take it's place. It's gonna be hard to heat with a stove if you aren't moving air somehow.

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.