In market for new utility tractor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
TYM owns Mahindra. Branson makes a lot of items for every one else as well as breaking into the US market a few years back, same with TYM. New Holland Boomer and Workmaster tractors are rebranded LS units. AGCO = Massey Ferguson, Fendt, Challenger,Valtra. As with all things now days a lot are assembled here state side but parts are sourced internationally. Case= Farmall at least one assembly plant here in Racine, WI
My Gripe with JD is they consider their tier 4 stuff proprietary = dealer only repair ( there are some civil suits on this)
We are seeing the same faults on the tractors regarding tier4 as on the trucks- don't idle them for long periods. Electrical problems- seems to be across the board- no brand has escaped them.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Go check out the specs on the different models of different makes and educate yourself. I'm not going to do something you can do for yourself.

TYM owns Mahindra. Branson makes a lot of items for every one else as well as breaking into the US market a few years back, same with TYM. New Holland Boomer and Workmaster tractors are rebranded LS units. AGCO = Massey Ferguson, Fendt, Challenger,Valtra. As with all things now days a lot are assembled here state side but parts are sourced internationally. Case= Farmall at least one assembly plant here in Racine, WI
My Gripe with JD is they consider their tier 4 stuff proprietary = dealer only repair ( there are some civil suits on this)
We are seeing the same faults on the tractors regarding tier4 as on the trucks- don't idle them for long periods. Electrical problems- seems to be across the board- no brand has escaped them.

...Because the end user gets the honor of performing the First Article testing. That and most T4 final components are lowest bidder items. Why my tractors are all T2, not T4. I don't want or need the headaches.

...Because the end user gets the honor of performing the First Article testing. That and most T4 final components are lowest bidder items. Why my tractors are all T2, not T4. I don't want or need the headaches.
I don't think the OP asked about used tractors

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I don't think the OP asked about used tractors
He didn't. My comment was 100% about NEW tractors and why I don't have NEW ones. I bought them NEW however.

The only thing I have against Korean tractors is the steel quality isn't as good as deere or kubota. They have the weight which is fine but you better becareful with them. I worked at a kioti dealer and I always had to torque the bolt to the lowest spec of the bolt. I ran into that several times. That was my only complaint with them. They are nice tractors

The only thing I have against Korean tractors is the steel quality isn't as good as deere or kubota. They have the weight which is fine but you better becareful with them. I worked at a kioti dealer and I always had to torque the bolt to the lowest spec of the bolt. I ran into that several times. That was my only complaint with them. They are nice tractors
Ford had a similar problem with head studs if I remember correctly ;)

So then educate us.

I can't be sure what Flip was commenting on, but you can still use our new Kubota while it is doing regen. If your RPMs aren't high enough when it starts regen, it will just prompt you to up them to where they need to be. And then you can just carry on working with it until it is done. If you are working it steadily at those higher RPMS anyway when it starts, it could go through its regen cycle without you even knowing it, if you don't happen to notice the indicator light coming on.

100% correct, the dealer makes all the difference, no matter what brand it is.

One thing to keep in mind however is, new tractors over 25 horsepower (diesel) will all be Tier 4 compliant which means they are loaded with emissions hardware and software and they can be troublesome.

Why I keep my pre T2 units. No emissions hardware or software, no common rail injection either. Everything is mechanical, from the pump on out.

Not the manufacturers choice, it's government mandate. Some college taught engineer came up with the requirements and then the builders had to comply. Across every brand no matter what brand it is....and...

Soon, ALL diesel tractors will be T4 final. Right now today, any unit under 25 horse pto is exempt but not for long.
The emmissions stuff is what is making me hesitant about buying new. Wasnt aware that 25 hp machines didnt need it until i prices out the JD. Back from vaca so its time to start shopping again!

@Gearhead660, when I got my first tractor I didn't even really know what I was doing, the closest dealers (Kubota and JD) were about an hour away from me, both also didn't have the best reputations.
I orginally went to buy a weed whacker and saw a little orange tractor sitting in the front lot, it was a ck2510hst, I ask a few questions about it, it came with the fel and backhoe, low financing rate for 3 years or something like that, since at the time I didn't have a truck payment or anything I decided to pull the trigger, I got the smaller tractor and did a few jobs around the house, I learned quickly that the 25hp was very limited in what I actually wanted to do (digging stuff, moving rocks, building retaining walls, fire wood) but I figured I was just going to have to deal with my mistake and eventually sell the machine at a loss.
During the winter I was at the same dealer buying shear bolts for the snow blower, the owner of the place who sold the machine was there and ask how I was liking it, I was blunt and truthful, basically said I made the mistake and bought to small of a machine for what I needed, the owner asked me to wait 10 min at the store because he was making a phone call, he asked how many hours I had on the machine ( I think it was under 50) he came back out of his office with a piece of paper, it had the trade in price on it that was almost basically what I paid for minus taxes, he said to go home take pics of the machine and send them to him, I did and when he saw a slightly used tractor he ask when he could pick it up, with in a week I was sitting on something in my garage that was almost double the hp, much bigger fel & back hoe, same payment as the other machine just extended by 6 months. It happened very quickly but that dealer made things right. After I got the bigger machine a co-worker wanted to get one, I recommended the dealer, he went there and was also treated very well, my co-worker basically bought the same machine as me, just with a cab and linked peddle, he also had a few issues with bad computer software on the re-gen system, same dealer went out of his way to send his own guy to repair the computer on site, then the guy had an issue because it was winter so the dealer paid out of pocket to flatbed the machine to his shop to fix it correctly and timely.
I also this past spring blew a hydro hose on the hoe right at the fitting when I was digging a huge stump (totally my fault since I wasnt careful) I called the same dealer to get the part, the dealer was very up front with me, sent me to the auto parts place up the road to get the hose, basically the dealer said, I can get you the hose at $100, or you can go to the auto parts store and pay $50 for the same thing. Just a very honest place. IMO the dealer is what makes the machine, whether you own a backhoe, tractor, skid steer its only a matter of time before something will break, you don't want a flakey dealer when you need something, you want a place that's honest, assertive and wont give you the run around on things.
The 2510 looks like a decent sized machine. Was it the size of the machine or the hp that wasnt enough for what you were doing?

What are your goals for this tractor?

I have a DK4710SE HST which is 45 HP hydrostatic trans and a bit heavier,longer, and wider than the CK4010. Sometimes I wish for a heavier/larger tractor, but I have yet to really need more power. I was torn between the CK4010 and the DK47010, but the loader capacity on the DK chassis won me over. There are also times I wish I had a smaller tractor, but it would have to be a second unit since I have too many tasks requiring more weight and power. I have about 130 hrs on my tractor and have only gone into regen once. In a perfect world I would have a subcompact/cat 0 tractor and a Cat 2 tractor, but I could only afford one tractor, I couldn't find any good tractor deals used when I was shopping.

If the Kioti dealer weren't 5 minutes down the road I probably wouldn't own one, but I also wouldn't have been willing to pay the JD or Kubota prices. The staff has had a total turnover and I really don't like the new folks, but there is another dealer who will sell maintenance parts online.

I shopped Kioti and one of the issues of concern at the time was the size and appearance of the bull gear housings in the rear. The housing metal appeared thinner and equal to or smaller in size than those housings on my 1971 12hp Powerking tractor, yet had almost three times the horsepower. I thought the other tractors I shopped had much larger housings by comparison.

The 2510 looks like a decent sized machine. Was it the size of the machine or the hp that wasnt enough for what you were doing?
Both, with a hst transmission you want to have a wide variety of speed settings the 25hp only had high and low, low was to slow and high was to weak when going up a small hill, the 4010 has low, medium and high which is perfect. FEL size was also an issue, along with the weight, the 25hp front bucket was to small, didnt have the quick attach, the 4010 had a larger bucket, quick attach and can lift an awesome amount. The 25hp was to light of a machine, the 40hp was much heavy which provided better stability and traction, even more so since I filled the rear tires. Rule of thumb, don't buy anything smaller then a 30hp machine unless you already have something bigger or need something for a very specific plan. What I did was measure my garage to see what was the biggest one I could fit in there, the 4010 with the fel and backhoe was the largest, I would have loved to do a dk like spacebus but I also have a thing were I like keeping everything under a solid roof and out of the elements / away from small animals like mice.

I shopped Kioti and one of the issues of concern at the time was the size and appearance of the bull gear housings in the rear. The housing metal appeared thinner and equal to or smaller in size than those housings on my 1971 12hp Powerking tractor, yet had almost three times the horsepower. I thought the other tractors I shopped had much larger housings by comparison.
I think most popular machines are built fairly equally and reliably now at days, with pluses and minuses across the board, to me its all about the dealer support, eventually something will break and you don't want some knuckle head giving you the run around.

What are your goals for this tractor?

I have a DK4710SE HST which is 45 HP hydrostatic trans and a bit heavier,longer, and wider than the CK4010. Sometimes I wish for a heavier/larger tractor, but I have yet to really need more power. I was torn between the CK4010 and the DK47010, but the loader capacity on the DK chassis won me over. There are also times I wish I had a smaller tractor, but it would have to be a second unit since I have too many tasks requiring more weight and power. I have about 130 hrs on my tractor and have only gone into regen once. In a perfect world I would have a subcompact/cat 0 tractor and a Cat 2 tractor, but I could only afford one tractor, I couldn't find any good tractor deals used when I was shopping.

If the Kioti dealer weren't 5 minutes down the road I probably wouldn't own one, but I also wouldn't have been willing to pay the JD or Kubota prices. The staff has had a total turnover and I really don't like the new folks, but there is another dealer who will sell maintenance parts online.
I live on a small lot, couple acres. But also own larger chunk up north. Plan is to use around house to move wood, dirt, snow and other misc items. Would use a box blade and brush mower up north. Thinking 25-35 hp compact tractor would fit my needs. Sub compacts are too small.

@Gearhead660 if your brush hogging and box blading you'll want the 40hp at a minimum, I can effectively all though right at that critical boarder line of working the tractor hard box blading with a 72" blade with the rippers all the way down, I'd imagine a 60" brush hog would work well to, anything smaller would be more time consuming to use effectively, for my machine a 18ft trailer works great.

So, was doing some research on different brands, and started thinking about what i was actually going to use this tractor for. Although i like to plan for the future, i dont see me doing any brush hogging, might do some box blading. Plans are to use this tractor for mowing, and general loader work, with occasional 3 point attachment work. Decided to find something on the smaller end of the compact tractor end, just not sub compact. When i do get me a big piece of heaven in the woods, i will trade up to a bigger model. Came across this at a good price and picked it up!
Thanks everyone for the info and help getting me a new toy...er,
20200709_212615.jpg
tool.

So, was doing some research on different brands, and started thinking about what i was actually going to use this tractor for. Although i like to plan for the future, i dont see me doing any brush hogging, might do some box blading. Plans are to use this tractor for mowing, and general loader work, with occasional 3 point attachment work. Decided to find something on the smaller end of the compact tractor end, just not sub compact. When i do get me a big piece of heaven in the woods, i will trade up to a bigger model. Came across this at a good price and picked it up!
Thanks everyone for the info and help getting me a new toy...er,View attachment 261540 tool.

Yeah, I had a feeling a compact with belly mower would be a good bet for you. Yo don't have to deal with DPF system and your fasteners are going to be more like car sized fasteners (no new tools to buy).

very nice.

Yeah, I had a feeling a compact with belly mower would be a good bet for you. Yo don't have to deal with DPF system and your fasteners are going to be more like car sized fasteners (no new tools to buy).
I like the no emissions part. Didn't want to deal with that.
Always looking for reasons to buy new tools though!