- In search of a proper pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambient

Feb 18, 2015
I can see Ontario from NNY
I've been lurking here for a bit, and feel much smarter for my time invested. Thank you all. I hope you'll help me with the decision making I'm facing in the next few days.

FIrst, we are very happy with our wood cook stove for 11 years now. Just, not so happy finding any consistency with wood suppliers. I try get 10 - 20 face cords every spring for the heating season two years in advance. Those suppliers seem to come and go, with promises...promises...promises. I assume there's too much demand and not enough suppliers?

We've reached the point were we want to be more environmentally sound, have more consistent heat, less labor and less feedback from the better half :p. Getting up at 4am or several times a night when temps are down to -20 or so, to fire up the cook stove is wearing me down.

To the point:
We have been searching the available products within 70 miles of us and have come up with a few options:

Harman XXV* The wifey's pick

Osburn 5000

Avalon AGP

Harman Accentra

Osburn 45

I'll stop here and see if anyone wants to jump in on this. I've started to form opinions, but I really am in listening mode. I also don't want to post volumes on my first post here.

What's the BUDGET..??
Floor plan layout.

Others will chime in, but this is a good start.

Can't go wrong with a Harman.

If you are looking for fuel supply stability, then I'm not sure pellets are any better than wood. There are shortages, or gluts, depending on where you are at. There may be issues with finding some of the better pellets (I personally have never seen a bag of the better pellets) etc.

However, I am a firm believer that pellets are more convenient than wood (lived with a woodstove for a little over 10 years) and just the fact that the pellet stove will go a lot longer than a woodstove before being fed is a winner in my opinion.

The only real benefit of a wood stove IMHO, would be free fuel if your yard is heavily wooded. If you have buy fuel, a pellet stove is a no-brainer.

I like the lower maintenance of Harman products and ability to idle with a lower input without a fan needing to run. The quiet running feature is very nice. The ESP while most complain about the expense has gotten cheaper with the red wired one and is one instead of three or so snap switches others stoves rely on so that balances out IMO. I doubt you will use the multifuel ability of the Osburn in NY

I have the AGP, the insert not the free standing stove. I wrote my review on it several times so you can do a quick search. I don't feel like typing it again lol. It has been excellent in this cold weather and the maintenance is very minimal. The only issue I have is replacing the liners when you clean out the stove after about a ton. They are a little tough to get back in, but I got that solved now and can do in under 5 minutes. You don't even need to remove the liners that often imho as you can get to the exhaust ports from without having to remove them. I don't really anything negative to say. It burns wells, easy to clean, very clean burning etc. I would buy one again without hesitation.

Farm fields and pasture, no woodlot. We are dependent on getting our wood from others.

As for the pellets, I haven't seen a shortage here for years, I see signs up, selling by the ton right into spring. In fact I've used a few bags of pellets when our stall shavings supplier had a few issues at their factory. Our intention would be to purchase in bulk and store them as long as they didn't degrade. I guess that would make me a hoarder;em. There were many years raising four children we couldn't be in front of our needs.

Now as for the quality of what's out there, I'm all ears, and I am reading those threads concerning that issue. I assume that will have something to do with which stove we select. I really would like to feel comfortable with a stove that can handle what ever is available. The Harman's are topping out list and the budget covers any of those stoves listed. I prefer not to spend more than I have to, but I also recognize you often get what you pay for. We do like the idea of a large hopper, an efficient burner and a extended burn time.

I noticed a few more posts:

The wife got the total say on the cook stove. So I am allowed to have some influence on this decision;lol _g she's not here is she?
These all have a reasonable hopper, including the Osburn's. It is a good mention that multifuels might not be needed here.
I did read those posts on the AGP, and it is the longevity of them once they got past their troubles, that I wanted more feedback on.

What are your other fuel choices? Natural Gas? Have you looked at ductless mini-split heat pumps? They are a huge advance in heat pump technology and performance. AND you could equip your house, assuming it's a normal size house, for the same or less than your going to spend on that XXV.

What are your other fuel choices? Natural Gas? Have you looked at ductless mini-split heat pumps? They are a huge advance in heat pump technology and performance. AND you could equip your house, assuming it's a normal size house, for the same or less than your going to spend on that XXV.

It can be negative 24 like yesterday to negative 35 here. I'm an hour south of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Heat pumps are a bit more expensive here.

Choosing pellets over wood is a easy choice. I grew heating our house soley with wood. My dad ran all the equiptment and I was the backbone. Pellets are much more simple.

Now, out of the stoves you mention I have only had experiences with one....The Harman Accentra. I dont like it and its pretty much blasphemous to speak ill of Harman on this website. The fact is, its just another pellet stove. Its has issues and needs just like the rest of them. I have far less issues with my Cumberland then I do with my Harman, therefore I like it better and use it primarily. It is indeed a work horse. If I was going to buy a new stove I would be looking at the Enviro Maxx. That looks like the most labor free stove there is imo. Regardless of which stove you choose there is going to be a learning curve and it wont just be a matter of pushing a button and forgetting about it. It will require some hands on. Educate yourself as much as you can. One thing ill add... The best pellet stove is going to have the fewest posts on this forum. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Reactions: Bowhunter1
It can be negative 24 like yesterday to negative 35 here. I'm an hour south of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Heat pumps are a bit more expensive here.
Wow, THAT'S COLD. Yea, heat pumps are out of the equation. Since you've used a cook stove for primary heat, you're used to a space heater and uneven room temps so a pellet stove won't be the shock that it is to many new burners. It WILL cost you a bundle to keep throwing bags of pellets in that baby trying to stay warm. You're also probably out of range of coal suppliers, which would make the most sense, if available.

Do you presently have a central heating system of any kind?

I just have to offer a different view here.

The new stoves are lovely looking, all spiffy sitting on the showroom floor, then comes the price tag $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!
I love new stuff, so don't get me wrong, but as mentioned, they all have issues.

I am a master of "Used everything"

The used stove that"s in nice shape physically can be a great find.
The huge price tag and the big hit you take, just like a new car.

Drive it off the showroom floor and the price falls in the toilet.

I outfitted our home with 2 used Whitfields at a cost of $200 each.

I had a little cleaning and of course the installation to do.

I have 2 stoves all working happily for less than $1000 and that included a raised hearth, a mantle and a few other goodies.

Craigs list is a marvelous place to shop.

Consider used unless $$$$ are no biggy.

The savings can heat your house for a season or so worth of pellets.

JMHO

Snowy

Wow, THAT'S COLD. Yea, heat pumps are out of the equation. Since you've used a cook stove for primary heat, you're used to a space heater and uneven room temps so a pellet stove won't be the shock that it is to many new burners. It WILL cost you a bundle to keep throwing bags of pellets in that baby trying to stay warm. You're also probably out of range of coal suppliers, which would make the most sense, if available.

Do you presently have a central heating system of any kind?

... yes it burns Liquid Dollar Bills aka LP gas fired Radiant floor heat in an 1852 Farm house, restored and heavily insulated.

I also have been looking in Craigslist etc, but the wifey's input makes sense, she doesn't want something that will let her down. You know if anything happens to me, if I'm not around, what, wait you don't suppose she's planning something?

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Snip ... less labor and less feedback from the better half :p. Getting up at 4am or several times a night when temps are down to -20 or so, to fire up the cook stove is wearing me down.

... snip

I found your real problem ....

To cut down on the wear and tear on yourself .... train the wife to tend the fires. They can actually do it and likely better than us as they get tired of hearing their own griping.

Now when she gets to that point then move someplace warm.

No need to buy a stove. Maybe a good mini split to handle the cooling chores.

But if you are still in the spending mood and into complaint mitigation chose a P68, train her to clean and run it, and retire from stove duty.

I found your real problem ....

To cut down on the wear and tear on yourself .... train the wife to tend the fires. They can actually do it and likely better than us as they get tired of hearing their own griping.

Now when she gets to that point then move someplace warm.

No need to buy a stove. Maybe a good mini split to handle the cooling chores.

But if you are still in the spending mood and into complaint mitigation chose a P68, train her to clean and run it, and retire from stove duty.
Yep, the biggest honking unit you can find. It sure doesn't have to be a Harman but that baby does pump some btu's, so the Harmanites claim!

I have a longer list but not all of them are in production currently and a friend who is a former NPS burner and is currently looking into the snow banks can attest to the heat from a P68.

Oh and a warning I don't go for fancy over function so if you want fancy my suggestions won't be of any use to you besides we know who is going to make the final decision anyway ;).

You can put gold on a pig-ah er a p-series.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Choosing pellets over wood is a easy choice. I grew heating our house soley with wood. My dad ran all the equiptment and I was the backbone. Pellets are much more simple.

Now, out of the stoves you mention I have only had experiences with one....The Harman Accentra. I dont like it and its pretty much blasphemous to speak ill of Harman on this website. The fact is, its just another pellet stove. Its has issues and needs just like the rest of them. I have far less issues with my Cumberland then I do with my Harman, therefore I like it better and use it primarily. It is indeed a work horse. If I was going to buy a new stove I would be looking at the Enviro Maxx. That looks like the most labor free stove there is imo. Regardless of which stove you choose there is going to be a learning curve and it wont just be a matter of pushing a button and forgetting about it. It will require some hands on. Educate yourself as much as you can. One thing ill add... The best pellet stove is going to have the fewest posts on this forum. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I had reviewed the Cumberland, it was on my list, and the dealer isn't too far away. I also looked at the Enviro Maxx, and discovered just yesterday, the new dealer in the area sells these. I have no problem with parking a beast in the living room while staying warm and not making extra work. If they just had shinny finishes and sleigh bells, the search might be over!;)

I will look the Enviro Maxx over again, thanks!

A couple of those fancy European style ones made wherever would likely take care of the bells and shinny desires. I was going to mention the Maxx and the Omega but didn't see any Enviro units on the list.

Oh and a lot of pellet roasters would get a bit mad if I didn't mention making certain about insulation and such. While we like to be toasty we don't want to be total pigs (yeah right, I just know that van is close by because I can't see it but hear pig noises.)

FYI Cumberland is no longer being made. They were made and distributed by Ardisam but no more. That might help knock some money off the price. I'm not sure how part support will hold up. Some of the parts are generally available and some are a bit stove specific. I have been running mine every winter 24/7 with no issues other then combustion blower failure in the beginning and they shipped one out next day. It's still working fine. The only other issue was door gaskets. So imho it is one solid stove and it is multi fuel. They sell another brand/model now and I think it is made in China. Its a pretty small stove and to be honest I am a bit skeptical of it.

I had reviewed the Cumberland, it was on my list, and the dealer isn't too far away. I also looked at the Enviro Maxx, and discovered just yesterday, the new dealer in the area sells these. I have no problem with parking a beast in the living room while staying warm and not making extra work. If they just had shinny finishes and sleigh bells, the search might be over!;)

I will look the Enviro Maxx over again, thanks!
With the Canadian dollar being so low and you being so close to the border, I would recommend checking out dealers here in Ontario. You could save yourself some serious cash!

I've used a Breckwell since 2008 as primary heat source-you won't find many friends claiming that on this website as of late, but when I look for a new one, I'm going to look at Enviro Maxx...

I'd say get a Harman P series, I assume you are keeping the cook stove, when you are short of wood go to TSC and get some Bio Bricks..I had an Elmira cook stove for a number of years, again wood supply was an issue and the small fire box. Also make sure the dealer stands behind his product, service after the sale, especially on the Enviro... You really don't want to hear "we don't have parts" & "this the first one I've worked on"..

Status
Not open for further replies.