In search of ideal wireless thermometer with temp warnings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpom75

Nov 29, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Hi,
I am a new wood burner, I have a 1978 Scandia 315 airtight burner. I am just now learning all I need to know to operate it safely in basement of my house. I have a general question, what devices are ideal for remotely monitoring the temperature of my wood stove?

In an ideal world, this is what I imagine:

A wireless thermometer device that can be affixed on the wood stove (perhaps next to the mechanical thermometer that is already on the flue pipe). The device would send temperature signals to a remote that could be located in my bedroom. Ideally, it would have both a low temp warning (telling me to add wood) and a high temp alarm (when temperature is getting too hot in the stove).

Ideally it would just link into my iPhone via an app or something so I could just carry it with me through the house and monitor from any room.

Are there any such devices or workarounds?

I believe this would make the wood stove much safer to use in the house with my family around.

I'm sorry I don't have a suggestion, but I have wanted this for a long time too. I hope someone chimes in with something like you described!

There are battery powered thermocouple temperature loggers. I have found some that have LCD read outs and alarms. So far only flashers, not sounds for alarm. These things can be plugged into a computer via USB. Is suppose one could run a USB extension to a computer. There is software that comes with it to plot the data. If it will plot real time, you could write a macro to email you when a certain temp is read. I am going to try this (not the email alerts) hopefully in the near future. I was hoping it would help me track temps as I learn how to operate my stove better. I'm a rookie.

http://www.dataq.com/products/hardware/el-usb-data-loggers/el-usb-tc-data-logger.html

Status
Not open for further replies.