In search of small cabin heat solution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared_L

Oct 20, 2020
SE Indiana
I have a cabin I'd like to fit with a wood fuel option... It currently has only has electric radiant heat. It's ~700 square feet so not much space (4 rooms) and it is well insulated. It has many acres of wood surrounding it and this fuel makes sense. Installing a wood stove seems most straightforward and easy... And I like the thought of the ambiance and ability to cook on it. Also, seems like there "could' be a hot water option that could be installed? (I haven't explored this--it actually sounds difficult).

I've looked into an outdoor wood boiler... I really like the thought of it being outside and ability to burn large unsplit logs. I'd expect indoor stoves would/could have reliable feedback control systems, but this seems more common with outdoor boilers (correct me if I'm wrong). We're only residing at the location about 20% of our time so less risk burning outside, unattended. But I'm challenged with heat exchange options. I saw radiant baseboard heat that could be installed, but it would seem to be a lot of work to install the plumbing into the finished walls, and would look wrong stacked on existing electric baseboard. I thought I'd see a solution involving a standalone heat exchanger, for this type of application, but I don't--and I'm not sure if this would fit well anyway as return air would need considered (at the least, and this is something unknown to me). Another advantage of the outdoor boiler is it's scaling to heat surrounding outbuildings. Also, thinking of future, and fitting "insurance" solar into the cabin for small electric demands--not the water heater, which an outdoor boiler could do during summer without heating cabin..

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything detailed... In fact, probably just at the first fork in the road--should I look at a stove, or outdoor boiler?

Thanks,
Jared

I have a cabin I'd like to fit with a wood fuel option... It currently has only has electric radiant heat. It's ~700 square feet so not much space (4 rooms) and it is well insulated. It has many acres of wood surrounding it and this fuel makes sense. Installing a wood stove seems most straightforward and easy... And I like the thought of the ambiance and ability to cook on it. Also, seems like there "could' be a hot water option that could be installed? (I haven't explored this--it actually sounds difficult).

I've looked into an outdoor wood boiler... I really like the thought of it being outside and ability to burn large unsplit logs. I'd expect indoor stoves would/could have reliable feedback control systems, but this seems more common with outdoor boilers (correct me if I'm wrong). We're only residing at the location about 20% of our time so less risk burning outside, unattended. But I'm challenged with heat exchange options. I saw radiant baseboard heat that could be installed, but it would seem to be a lot of work to install the plumbing into the finished walls, and would look wrong stacked on existing electric baseboard. I thought I'd see a solution involving a standalone heat exchanger, for this type of application, but I don't--and I'm not sure if this would fit well anyway as return air would need considered (at the least, and this is something unknown to me). Another advantage of the outdoor boiler is it's scaling to heat surrounding outbuildings. Also, thinking of future, and fitting "insurance" solar into the cabin for small electric demands--not the water heater, which an outdoor boiler could do during summer without heating cabin..

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything detailed... In fact, probably just at the first fork in the road--should I look at a stove, or outdoor boiler?

Thanks,
Jared
Trash burner wood stove. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=trash+burner+wood+stove

Last edited:
For a small cabin you really need a small stove, possibly a Jotul 602 or Morso Squirrel. Burning large logs even with high levels of sophistication still means lots of creosote. Ideally you want a quick hot fire in small firebox with dry wood split small wood to get the place up to warm and then feed wood as needed to keep things going without overheating. When you look at a stove make sure you look at the minimum clearances as they will eat up some of your space.

An outdoor boiler would probably need to be treated with antifreeze if you're not there to feed it most of the winter. I've heated some small cabins with an outdoor boiler tied into a small coil/blower in a centrally located closet with several vents.
Radiant floor or walls might be an option too.

Wood stove application for sure.
There is not going to be enough use from the boiler to ever coming close to paying for it. On paper I’ll bet the electric heating is a better ROI.

Reactions: sloeffle
Wood stove, nothing better than a cabin with wood heat. Turn down the electric to keep the cabin from freezing to save cost. Use the stove when you're there.

Reactions: andym and E Yoder
Stove.

Beyond that, maybe also a cold climate mini-split, you could do away with the electric rads. And have summer a/c and dehumidifying. Dont know where you are and your climate though. The last thing I would consider is a boiler.

That's kinda what I was thinking, the cost, antifreeze, etc doesn't make a wood boiler make sense.

Closing this thread. A new one for a wood stove has started in the main Hearth Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.