In the process of working on a 7.3 powerstroke right now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ozarkoak

Burning Hunk
Nov 1, 2020
Arkansas
Front cover was leaking right behind the hpop reservoir. Been quite the project. Would not recommend.
powerstroke.jpg

Reactions: ABMax24
That's a good engine n all...but it only took me about 6 months of living with a fixer upper ('99) to realize I didn't need one!
Fortunately for me the guy I bought it from wanted it back...I guess I fixed it up pretty well, he had very little trouble with it then...

That 7.3 will likely outlive some of the newer ford diesels. I'm more than happy with my 6.7, but the 6.0 and 6.4 were both piles of garbage. Only see a few 6.0s left on the road, and a handful of 6.4s.

This is the reason Ford made pulling the cab easier, a 6.7 cab is off in under 3hrs. Much easier for motor work, not that you could pull the motor without lifting the cab anyway.

Reactions: RomanW
That's a good engine n all...but it only took me about 6 months of living with a fixer upper ('99) to realize I didn't need one!
Fortunately for me the guy I bought it from wanted it back...I guess I fixed it up pretty well, he had very little trouble with it then...
I dont mind working on stuff. Especially pre emission diesel stuff. 90% of what we have is "fixer upper", house, trucks, land. We are what most would call poor hillbillies. Ever see a porch sheep? Now you have. Welcome to the Ozarks.

IMG_20221008_155542.jpg

I'm waiting on four 130mm grade 10.9 M12-1.75 bolts from fastenal so I can mount to the engine stand. Really dont trust much else to hold it on there. The engine has to be turned upside down to get a proper seal of the oil pan. No one around here has anything similar. Engine is close to 1/2 ton. I knew this was not going to be a rip it out and slam it back in deal. My initial goal was to be done by November.

You trust your stand? Spent a lot of hours assembling big block gassers (Ford 429/460) in my youth, time mis-spent in many ways, but we sure had fun. In any case, most stands got awful bouncy and tippy when hanging that much iron on them, and you've got 2-300 lbs. more in that powerstroke, than even the big blocks I was working. Too many stands seemed to be designed with only small block weight and length in mind.

When I bought my 06 cummins I was looking really hard for an 01 six speed 7.3 truck.

Reactions: ozarkoak
You trust your stand? Spent a lot of hours assembling big block gassers (Ford 429/460) in my youth, time mis-spent in many ways, but we sure had fun. In any case, most stands got awful bouncy and tippy when hanging that much iron on them, and you've got 2-300 lbs. more in that powerstroke, than even the big blocks I was working. Too many stands seemed to be designed with only small block weight and length in mind.
I have a 2000lb stand and have seen others use it for their 7.3 so I trust it to a point. Would I lay under it? No freaking way.
When I bought my 06 cummins I was looking really hard for an 01 six speed 7.3 truck.
This is a 1996 OBS. I have put everything on this truck except for a engine rebuild. Turbo, injectors all new sensors, rebuilt trans, clutch, new HPOP, efuel, deleted cold start valve pedestal. Everything. even putting a new wiring harness on it. As soon as I fired it up with the new HPOP it started leaking from the front cover.. Redid the interior with new door skins, headliner, new power window motors. While its out im going to do all the o-rings, low pressure oil pump.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I have a 2000 7.3. I hope you’re replacing the oil pan with a new one since the old ones are famous for rusting out and that dipstick o-ring. Also use only the proper IH grey sealant and get it super clean.

Quite a coincidence that the front cover started leaking right after you messed with the hpop. There are ways the hpop job could leak and look like a front cover leak. Hopefully you triple checked.

These trucks are getting old but to replace it you’re looking at jumping almost 20 years newer before another ford diesel was as dependable and that’s very expensive. I admit I like the nostalgia of a rattletrap diesel that smokes and stinks and shakes. Mine still has the tape deck!

Reactions: RomanW and ozarkoak
I have a 2000 7.3. I hope you’re replacing the oil pan with a new one since the old ones are famous for rusting out and that dipstick o-ring. Also use only the proper IH grey sealant and get it super clean.

Quite a coincidence that the front cover started leaking right after you messed with the hpop. There are ways the hpop job could leak and look like a front cover leak. Hopefully you triple checked.

These trucks are getting old but to replace it you’re looking at jumping almost 20 years newer before another ford diesel was as dependable and that’s very expensive. I admit I like the nostalgia of a rattletrap diesel that smokes and stinks and shakes. Mine still has the tape deck!
I like octagonal checked. I thought it was weird too. I ended up putting a camera in the valley to be able to watch where the leak was coming from with the truck running, after resealing the hpop for the 8th or 10th time. Im not replacing the oil pan because its an Arizona truck and the rust on the truck is very minimal. I just ordered the international sealant for the oil pan today from Riff Raff diesel. My dipstick already has the Strictly Diesel dipstick fix. I was thinking of moving to the weld in type to replace it but I'm still debating that.

Reactions: Highbeam
have 2003 6.0 now that i have generally replaced most everything up front short of head gaskets and turbo + deleted cat and egr been running pretty good. It was neglected when I got it. I do not use often but need it for towing and such. Do not like to do any of that with my little shoebox Escape. 162xxx on 6.0, 155xxx on 2016 2.2l shoebox. Only have had one repair on the Escape sensor or valve for the fuel evap system. 7.3 issue with hydraulic clutch assit ( stick shift), then dang mice on the injector wiring ( which is run though the head gaskets- not cheap) still a wiring short some where intermitant. buddy has it now drive train going to reused rest of it has been trashed by the road salts - 300,xxx . Oil pans, everyone was having trouble with them in the late 90 and and early 2000's, going back further my 6.9 ( 198x) was starting to leak( rust) as well, nothing left to body and the frame was going also when I sold it in 2001 .

7.3 issue with hydraulic clutch assit ( stick shift), then dang mice on the injector wiring ( which is run though the head gaskets- not cheap) still a wiring short some where intermitant.
That wiring runs through the valve cover gasket which is much easier to replace, right on top.

Just ran across this thread, I have an 02 f350 7.3 DRW for hauling my truck camper around. I wish I could say mine was rust free ;lol

Looks like you had already did the uppipes with bellowed ones, I have the new ones sitting on the shelf to do mine one day, still running the originals with 236k on the clock. You still running factory turbo?

If you already don't know the guys over at ford trucks are a huge help with keeping the 7.3 going: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/

Reactions: Highbeam
Just ran across this thread, I have an 02 f350 7.3 DRW for hauling my truck camper around. I wish I could say mine was rust free ;lol

Looks like you had already did the uppipes with bellowed ones, I have the new ones sitting on the shelf to do mine one day, still running the originals with 236k on the clock. You still running factory turbo?

If you already don't know the guys over at ford trucks are a huge help with keeping the 7.3 going: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/
I actually rebuilt the turbo with a SPX CHRA. I do belong to that forum and the people are great. I just got the rear main seal done along with resealing the rear cover, the front cover and water pump put back on. Im waiting on a new oil pick up gasket, another tube of ford sealant and a harmonic balancer, then all thats left is the oil pan and to start putting it back. Basically everything on the engine is new. If I had another 4K I would have just rebuilt the whole thing.

Reactions: mellow
Hard to beat a 7.3 powerstroke. Miss mine. Love the slow tractor feel you get from them. Only pickup motor better is a 7.3idi or a 12v cummins