In the woods 08

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave P

Aug 22, 2007
Well, due to an open winter in Central NY State, I'm back working in the woods again.Other than you folks, few understand the enjoyment of working in the hardwoods in winter.It really is my favorite time to be in the woods. I cut timber not only for firewood but also to improve my hunting. Last years cutting area saw the return of grouse and other small and large game. Win-win I'd say.

Last year I cut almost all white ash and I have to say that ash is a great firewood. It has a very nice flame and dries in one year to produce a good amount of heat. This year my cutting is more mixed-ash, maple,beech hophrnbeam and some cherry. I have used hophornbeam to make longbows but this will be my first year using it for firewood. One thing I do notice is I'm not so eager to cut those 30" dia. trees as I once was. Also, my 575xp husky feels like it'd put on weight over the summer.But,as I get ready to enter my 6th decade, at least I'm out there.
Anyway,here's to all of you guys out there with me this winter and stay safe.

Dave

Dave P said:
Well, due to an open winter in Central NY State, I'm back working in the woods again.Other than you folks, few understand the enjoyment of working in the hardwoods in winter.It really is my favorite time to be in the woods. I cut timber not only for firewood but also to improve my hunting. Last years cutting area saw the return of grouse and other small and large game. Win-win I'd say.
Last year I cut almost all white ash and I have to say that ash is a great firewood. It has a very nice flame and dries in one year to produce a good amount of heat. This year my cutting is more mixed-ash, maple,beech hophrnbeam and some cherry. I have used hophornbeam to make longbows but this will be my first year using it for firewood. One thing I do notice is I'm not so eager to cut those 30" dia. trees as I once was. Also, my 575xp husky feels like it'd put on weight over the summer.But,as I get ready to enter my 6th decade, at least I'm out there. Anyway,here's to all of you guys out there with me this winter and stay safe. Dave

Nice tell Dave, you're right on target. :coolsmile: Working the woods is one of our ( my lady and I, and other couples Downeast harvesting their woodlands for firewood and market timber) favorite "workouts". It is nice to get your 02 pumping felling, bucking, skidding, piling next winter's heating. It's part of our workout routine for other sports like climbing or sculling : it has weight lifting, anerobic stress, balance, skill, and some danger for the hubris.
Coastal Maine doesn't have the quality of hardwoods you got, or in the tropical regions south of here ( LOL). We burn what we got: paper birch, red/soft maple, few dead and live red oaks, some green/black ash, then the odd spruce or fir for shoulder times, sawlogs, pulp.
The TSI ( Timber Stand Improvement) done along with harvesting is done for recreation in our forest including hunting,running and skiing, sustainability, and diversity of species. We don't hunt, but let neighbors harvest deer, bear, turkeys--tribute given to the lord of course.
Most here online do not cut their own---maybe missing out out on "the joys of chainsaw" from the stump.
And a big YES for PPE.
Don't worry about the four score deadline: times have changed---take care of yourself and you'll go well beyond 60 being active. It's funny hearing some 30 sometings whine about how "hard" it is to stack and buck delivered wood. :-S

I wish I had the time to do that. I may be able to get onto the 50acres in April. march is sap weather, so that keeps me pretty busy in the sugarbush

Status
Not open for further replies.