Indeck vs Dejnos Hardwood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scottymalone101

Feb 15, 2020
Illinois
Menards recently switched pellets to Indeck. These are the worst pellets Ive run yet. I have a Pelpro pp130. The Indeck pellets left a hard, flaky soot in my stove and a lot of unburned pellets. The Dejnos from Kenosha, WI have been top notch. Dejnos leave very little soot but still leave a good amount on the glass. The rest of the chamber is pretty clean. Attached is a pic of what was left over after running Indeck.

Attachments

• 20200215_063038.jpg
    20200215_063038.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 162
I just picked up a pallet of Indeck from Menards. Sure hope I don't have the same troubles.
Report back and let me know how it goes. Im running Dejnos again and theyre really good. The glass gets a bunch of soot but when I open the stoves its really clean. Very happy with the Dejno product. Also, the Farm and Fleet pellets performed like the Indeck. Not a good pellet at all. They were called Easy Heat. They did the same thing as the Indeck.

I can't even distinguish where your burn pot starts and ends in that pic its so full of ash, if you can't see the edges of the burn pot its past time to clean it as the fire will get to close to the pellet chute, and unburnt pellets anywhere but in the burn pot is bad, you don't want unburnt pellets waiting to ignite outside of the burn pot.

I can't even distinguish where your burn pot starts and ends in that pic its so full of ash, if you can't see the edges of the burn pot its past time to clean it as the fire will get to close to the pellet chute, and unburnt pellets anywhere but in the burn pot is bad, you don't want unburnt pellets waiting to ignite outside of the burn pot.
The fire was way too close to the shoot and I think it softened the pellets. The auger clogged twice. First time ever for me and all because of these pellets. Im on day 2 of being back with Dejnos and issue free. Dejnos is really a great product. Anyone in northern IL or southern WI should consider them. The Dejnos produce a good amount of soot on the window but the rest of the chamber is extremely clean.

Attachments

• 20200216_074218.jpg
    20200216_074218.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 142
Menards recently switched pellets to Indeck. These are the worst pellets Ive run yet. I have a Pelpro pp130. The Indeck pellets left a hard, flaky soot in my stove and a lot of unburned pellets. The Dejnos from Kenosha, WI have been top notch. Dejnos leave very little soot but still leave a good amount on the glass. The rest of the chamber is pretty clean. Attached is a pic of what was left over after running Indeck.

Good lord what a disaster and a prime cause of backburn and stove issues. You need to do a comprehensive cleaning of the unit and probably the pellet venting as well.

That burn chamber is a disgrace.:rolleyes:

Good lord what a disaster and a prime cause of backburn and stove issues. You need to do a comprehensive cleaning of the unit and probably the pellet venting as well.

That burn chamber is a disgrace.:rolleyes:
I clean the burn chamber every third day before work. This happened over night. I cleaned the stove, swapped to Indeck and this happened. Not lack of maintenance.

I suggest you clean every 2 days then. You need to check and clean your external venting and cleanout as well. Keep in mind that, the more ash buildup inside the stove, the less efficient it becomes because ash is a great insulator and impeded heat transfer.

Ash accumulation always dictates cleanout frequency. I burn shelled corn myself and shelled corn makes the most ash of any solid fuel.

As I've said in the past and will continue to stress... Don't jump around with pellet choice based on price or availability. Buy the brand that burns best for you and buy enough in the summer or fall (usually cheaper then) to carry you through the entire winter season.

Being in Illinois, I'm pretty sure you can pre buy Michigan Hardwood or Somerset pellets. I've never bought fuel at Menards though I've seen it there.

I mix pellets with my corn so I always pre buy a ton or two for mixing.

I suggest you clean every 2 days then. You need to check and clean your external venting and cleanout as well. Keep in mind that, the more ash buildup inside the stove, the less efficient it becomes because ash is a great insulator and impeded heat transfer.

Ash accumulation always dictates cleanout frequency. I burn shelled corn myself and shelled corn makes the most ash of any solid fuel.

As I've said in the past and will continue to stress... Don't jump around with pellet choice based on price or availability. Buy the brand that burns best for you and buy enough in the summer or fall (usually cheaper then) to carry you through the entire winter season.

Being in Illinois, I'm pretty sure you can pre buy Michigan Hardwood or Somerset pellets. I've never bought fuel at Menards though I've seen it there.

I mix pellets with my corn so I always pre buy a ton or two for mixing.
Every third is working fine. I was in a bind and Menards switched from a brand that worked great for me. I bought a pallet of the Dejnos so I should be good till summer.

Never heard of that brand but then solid fuel pellets are regional anyway. Transportation costs dictate availability.

I've had reasonably good results with Indecks in my Harman, although I haven't burned any in at least a couple years. Menards was selling a lot of Marth pellets in my area the last several seasons, but I spotted some Indeck pellets there in the last month or two. I think Menards is scrambling to keep stock ... last week I found some Somersets at the Pewaukee, WI store. That's a rare find, and a lot better product than they usually sell.

Dejnos pellets are pretty decent. They sell softwood and a hardwood blend that has good softwood content. I can smell the pine resin when I open the hopper.

So far they're doing ok. Not burning as hot as I'd like, but thankfully it's not terribly cold out. The ash doesn't appear to be excessive either.

I have run indecks and had no problems. If:
1. I keep my stove clean
2. Adjust my air properly for each diff pellet brand.
My englander will eat anything cleanly if properly adjusted.