indoor boiler questions (no experience with them)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firecaptain

Feb 1, 2010
western pa
anyone have pros/cons for indoor wood boilers? im looking at installing an indoor wood boiler. anybody have an recomendations on brands? who uses a heat storage system versus no heat storage storage system? which is better?
thanks for any input, i was considering an outdoor boiler but kinda shying away from it now. i have been heating with a wood stove and decided its time to upgrade.
any info is appreciated. thanks!!!

firecaptain said:
anyone have pros/cons for indoor wood boilers? im looking at installing an indoor wood boiler. anybody have an recomendations on brands? who uses a heat storage system versus no heat storage storage system? which is better?
thanks for any input, i was considering an outdoor boiler but kinda shying away from it now. i have been heating with a wood stove and decided its time to upgrade.
any info is appreciated. thanks!!!

You will find fans for just about any of the brands you see the vendors in the banner adds carrying (which pretty much covers the available options..) The downdraft gassers all seem to be reasonably good quality, so pick your features, and you can't go to far wrong...

You will also find folks running most all the brands both with and without a storage system, and many that have started out w/ no storage, and added it later - you won't find anyone that has run both ways and is NOT happier with storage... At the same time, it is a big chunk to pay for a boiler and storage all at the same time, so if money is tight, it can make a lot of sense to get the boiler now, install it with the right connections to add storage, but cap them off until the money has recovered a bit and put in the storage a year or two later...

Gooserider

I agree with everything Gooserider said, but would add that some are slightly better suited for certain application. If you could give us an idea of the square footage, insulation, etc. on your house, it would help. I ran my Tarm for a few years without storage and then built my own tank to save on cost. The storage has given me year round domestic hot water, better efficiency in the shoulder seasons, and more flexibility on loading times in the winter. The advantage of a gasser wood boiler over a wood stove is that it will heat your house more evenly and give you complete control over house temps. You will also get DHW at least when burning and year round with storage. You likely won't see much difference in the amount of wood you burn though.

Gooserider has it pretty well covered. If you want more detail, I put together a web page a while back that covered the different choices that we faced, with pros and cons for each as well as our decision and the reasons for the choice that we made. It might still be relevant....

http://www.nofossil.org/index.php?choice=choices

Status
Not open for further replies.