Indoor Wood Storage Container Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Need an indoor wood storage container with a tight fitting lid. Last winter we found three black widows from bringing wood into the house. I need a container to store 4-8 splits indoors. Our temps here are moderate so we dont burn 24/7.

The other option is to leave several splits covered outside near the house. I keep the chords in the barn and could just make a cover to hold several splits next to the house. But, I read that its best to warm up the splits indoors for an hour or two prior to burning.

I thought about one of these containers but the durability for split storage may be marginal.

Suggestions appreciated.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Tough-Storage-Bin-in-Black-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361

Costco has the same tubs, I have a bunch of them holding construction supplies and equipment. Very robust, wouldn't want to throw it off the truck but filling and hauling has been fine for a couple of years. The lids are a little stubborn to get off but that makes them seal better. It is not an airtight seal so little critters could get in or out but is is a tight fit.

Reactions: ColdNorCal
Bumping for suggestions.

When we first bought this house we had a wood stove in the summer kitchen
keep it toasty all winter. We store enough wood for 2 days in an old pine box
with a lid. Used it as a coffee table worked great

When we first bought this house we had a wood stove in the summer kitchen
keep it toasty all winter. We store enough wood for 2 days in an old pine box
with a lid. Used it as a coffee table worked great

Good idea! Just asked the boss and she is good with using the one we have. The latches are broken so it wont close. Easy enough to fix.

I guess opening it each time will be an adventure :)

New plan... This 2ft x 2ft x 4ft aluminum Truck Storage box showed up on craigslist for $50. With delivery. The seller actually delivered it to the house. Very nice guy!

We live in a moderate climate area, no need to burn 24/7, so the box can hold several days of wood. It will be placed outside the sliding glass door that is a few steps from the stove. And since its aluminum it will not rust and stain the deck.

Regarding acclimating the wood in the house for a few hours prior to burning, it seems this is a bit controversial. Some think it does help, others think it does not. Perhaps in the coldest regions it could/does help. I have no idea. But, if not acclimating the wood to room temp equals wasting a split every couple of weeks, its worth it to keep the black widows out of the house. Well, sort of out of the house. Any spider that remains in the wood will be in the stove, in the house :)

Box 1.jpg

I'm not a fan of wood stored in the house. Potentially there's bugs in it. As far as warming wood, never heard of it.

You might want to raise the box off the deck, if only an inch or two, so moisture doesn't accumulate.