Inexpensive but accurate woodstove thermomoeters ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Accurate' doesn't really matter, unless you have specific wording in your owner's manual that tells you where to measure and tells you what temperatures to look for. Someday I hope all stove manuals come with that info; right now I understand they are few and far between.

What you want is a repeatable thermometer. After a few weeks of burning and watching the dial, you'll have a pretty good feel for what constitutes normal behavior for your stove... and also for what stove temperature corresponds to what room temperature for varying outside weather conditions. Knowing your stove's normal behavior, you'll be able to use the thermometer to keep an eye out for unusual behavior -- not getting hot due to wet wood, obstructed flue, etc, or getting too hot due to leaky gasket, unusual draft conditions, etc. You'll also be able to sync the thermometer to actions you take running the stove. "Hmmm, it's 25 degrees out. That means I want to cut the air back when the stove heats up to about XXX degrees on the dial." "Hmmm, that load looks just about burned out. I know I can get a good clean re-light if I reload before the dial gets down to YYY degrees". Stuff like that.

People mention actual temperature readings on here all the time ("let her cruise at 550 degrees"), but comparing readings like that between stoves, and between different thermometer placements, is an apples-to-oranges proposition. After a few weeks, you'll know what cruising temperature is for YOUR stove, and you'll know where to aim to get a comfortable room based on the weather outside.

Eddy

atvdave said:
Here's what I use. Don't know how accurate it is but it seams to work well.

http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=14
Yes...these are reasonable and accurate enough for our use. We aren't cooking a steak!! lol
I've got two of them on my fireplace.....one on the door frame and the other on the flue behind the fascia. (Have to look through the fan vent to see the one on the flue though..but it works!)

I picked them up at the local Ace Hardware store for about $14 each here in New Jersey.

Kev

EddyKilowatt said:
'Accurate' doesn't really matter, unless you have specific wording in your owner's manual that tells you where to measure and tells you what temperatures to look for. Someday I hope all stove manuals come with that info; right now I understand they are few and far between.

What you want is a repeatable thermometer. After a few weeks of burning and watching the dial, you'll have a pretty good feel for what constitutes normal behavior for your stove... and also for what stove temperature corresponds to what room temperature for varying outside weather conditions. Knowing your stove's normal behavior, you'll be able to use the thermometer to keep an eye out for unusual behavior -- not getting hot due to wet wood, obstructed flue, etc, or getting too hot due to leaky gasket, unusual draft conditions, etc. You'll also be able to sync the thermometer to actions you take running the stove. "Hmmm, it's 25 degrees out. That means I want to cut the air back when the stove heats up to about XXX degrees on the dial." "Hmmm, that load looks just about burned out. I know I can get a good clean re-light if I reload before the dial gets down to YYY degrees". Stuff like that.

People mention actual temperature readings on here all the time ("let her cruise at 550 degrees"), but comparing readings like that between stoves, and between different thermometer placements, is an apples-to-oranges proposition. After a few weeks, you'll know what cruising temperature is for YOUR stove, and you'll know where to aim to get a comfortable room based on the weather outside.

Eddy

+1. Excellent post, good points all around.

Yep that's the one we use here too. I think it's the most popular one.

A barbeque thermometer and a magnet. You said cheap, so, $7.50 at home depot. Ay kind of magnet you have laying around. Not sure how accurate, but if the probe portion is up against the metal?? KD

magnets do lose their abilities at high heat thats when you know you are in the danger zone 800 degrees or so. Most therms have a safety wire so they dont fall off the pipe.

Actually inexpensive and inaccurate may be more like it. I use one in the chimney, one on the stove top, and Ir to double check. Nothing like overfiring your stove, but that's just me.

Would it be a sin to propose the cheap IR handheld thermometer available from Harbor Freight Tools? Centech is the brand. Temp ranges up to 968*F. Costs about $30. The store sells it for $40, but if it's on sale online (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451 - it is!) you can bring in a printed copy of the online ad and they'll honor it.

I like mine - lets me measure pipe, wall, stovetop, floor, kids, etc...

Edthedawg said:
Would it be a sin to propose the cheap IR handheld thermometer available from Harbor Freight Tools? Centech is the brand. Temp ranges up to 968*F. Costs about $30. The store sells it for $40, but if it's on sale online (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451 - it is!) you can bring in a printed copy of the online ad and they'll honor it.

I like mine - lets me measure pipe, wall, stovetop, floor, kids, etc...

Assuming they ever get the blasted thing back in stock. I've had one on backorder for 5 weeks now.

Doh - that sucks :( I wonder if you could get the Worcester, MA store to ship you one. I deal w/ the Vernon, CT store and they had them in stock recently when I checked for a friend...

The Condar was my preference after testing them. It tended to read 50* higher than actual versus the rutland 50* lower. I ended up buying an IR gun at Sears on sale. It was my xmas present which let my wife off the hook for shopping.....

Status
Not open for further replies.