info gathering - VERY old fireplace/chimney conversion to stove venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Weissspice

Feb 13, 2022
Charlottesville VA
Hi everyone,
I am considering trying to buy a house that has a very old stone fireplace and chimney. The structure might be original to the late-19th century log cabin build that makes up the core of the house, but I'm not sure - seems pretty likely, actually. I already know it would need a lot of attention to get it into anything like useable condition: an inspection report came back with the information that it's entirely unlined, is cracking, isn't capped, is generally a mess and would need to be further evaluated to know the extent of the work involved. All of that feels like a lot of work for a fireplace and I wonder if it would be possible and maybe even advisable to abandon the fireplace for fires and instead use it for a wood burning stove (not an insert - a little free-standing stove) and run the pipe (possibly double walled?) up the chimney. Clearly I'd still have to stabilize the chimney itself (if it falls down, it does no good for anything), but what I wonder is if this is a viable thing to consider, if it would be a solution to consider instead of probably needing to start from scratch with the fireplace and chimney, or if it's not a possible consideration at all and to make it work would involve just as much, if not more, work to make the combination safe and functional.
Thoughts very much appreciated, thanks!
-c

It's an option if the chimney is structurally still sound and repairable. With an insulated liner, a freestanding stove could be put in as long as it fits. Plan on a block-off plate sealing the damper area.

I have both a stove in a fireplace and an insert. If I was trying to exclusively with wood I would go the insert route, the reason being you can get a bigger insert in the same space. I need a fan behind my stove to move heat out.

That said I really like my stove setup and was trying to get another used stove For the second fireplace I just couldn’t justify the extra cost be a budget insert.

My stove is set just in front of an old fireplace with the lined flue running through the old chimney - I think that's a pretty common fireplace conversion.