Info says will heat 1200 square feet.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
I don’t have much experience with propane stoves other than the non vented type I have used many years ago. I have been looking at a used direct vent and the specs say it will heat 1200 square feet. It’s 20,000 btu. I’m just curious how they come to that number. I find it a bit of a stretch.

I’m not looking to heat my whole house just supplement my pellet stove heater and keep the living room a little more comfortable. I think it would be more convenient in the shoulder seasons too. The box stores usually run out of pellets in early spring and if I haven’t stocked up enough pellets it leaves me scrambling for fuel.

The pellet stove is in the middle of the house and the living room is cooler. I have another pellet stove in the living room but I don’t like running two stoves if I don’t have to. I was thinking of putting the propane stove where the pellet stove is.

I supposed if you live In Arizona and have a well insulated house that number might be true?

Last edited:
No way will that heat 1,200 sqft. If it’s 75% efficient, it MIGHT heat 500 sqft in a very tight, well insulated house.

Yeh kind of what I figured.

Yeh kind of what I figured.
I have a Mendoza full view 34 I live by Milwaukee wi. I have a open concept house 1860 square feet main part of house at 73 degrees,bedrooms stay at about 66 degrees in blow zero temps. stove is max BYU’s 33,000 works great,run it during the day furnace at night.

That’s impressive. Your house must be well insulated. I have no insulation in the walls only the ceiling. I’m not really trying to heat the whole house I just wanted to warm up the living room a bit more and try to milk the pellet usage a bit. I have a full tank of propane that has been sitting for about 10 years so I figure I might as well burn it.

I was just surprised that they say 20,000 btu’s would heat 1,200 square feet. Just didn’t seem like the math added up but I don’t really know much about these things. Looks like you are doing even better. I reckon since you run it during the day it’s more efficient then your furnace?

I’ve been curious about how they come up with these numbers as well. I’m heating with wood right now but some day I’d like to switch over to a propane stove. I have a 600 sq ft log cabin with high ceilings and a 200sq ft loft. When I’m gone for a day or so I burn a 20000 btu ventless wall heater. When I get home the cabin can be anywhere from 66 to 73 depending on outside temps. So I was looking at a Jotul Allagash rated at 24000 btu but I’m thinking since it’s less efficient than the wall heater it may not be enough? Also trying to figure how much propane I’d go through gives me a headache!

The Jotul Allagash is rated at 26K btu. It is 75.3% efficient. 26x.753=19.578k btu. It'll burn one gallon of LP in about 4.5 hours when burning at the highest setting.

Reactions: Todd
The Jotul Allagash is rated at 26K btu. It is 75.3% efficient. 26x.753=19.578k btu. It'll burn one gallon of LP in about 4.5 hours when burning at the highest setting.
The Jotul Alagash - am I right that this model qualifies for the 30% federal tax rebate?

A 26k btu input would use a gallon of propane every 3.5 hours. The efficiency has nothing to do with the amount of fuel used but the amount of heat produced from burning that 26k btu. Is that not correct?

Reactions: Todd