Information about Englander Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canoeguy

Jan 4, 2015
VA
New to the forums----

We just picked up an Englander Stove to replace the Vogelzang Heartwood Heater Circulator that came with the house we bought last spring. We are not happy with the Vogelzang so were looking for an older stove and found this Englander. It's in new condition-never used. Complete with optional glass door inserts and original instructions. Think we got a good deal on it so we jumped on it.

But can't find out much about them--any information, things to watch out for, installation tips, estimate on BTUs?? What's a good price for it? Hoping we got a good deal.

Guy told us it came with his house which was bought in the 80's and they never used it. Size is similiar to a Fisher Pappa Bear so thinking maybe the BTUs are similar? Thanks!

cats_zpsaf4de797.jpg

10494861_751584228259040_8327373078707519615_n_zpsf62a3853.jpg

Thanks!

Contact Mike Holton via a conversation here - @stoveguy2esw . Maybe Englander will want to buy the stove as a museum piece? You might also ask him if it is ok to reduce the flue pipe size on this stove. I suspect not.

why reduce the flue pipe size?
Most stoves are made to be used with a specific flue size. It appears that the stove in the pic has had it's flue size reduced. Very nice stove btw. For me, 3 to 4 hundred would be a good price for that stove. Any more than that and I'd go for a new one.

model 28-I definately from the mid 80's as its on legs it appears. stove would compare to a Papa Bear in heat output though i do not have a "rating" on it as it predates Phase by quite a ways.

one thing i see that isnt making me happy in the picture is the floor protector does not look to be large enough should be 48X48

as for flue reduction , its usually not a good idea to do so, as it can restrict flow in some cases, dropping for an 8 inch to a 6 inch is signifigant as you go from a cross sectional value of 50.4 sq inches to 28.26 sq inches which is almost reducing by half, one would need an extremely powerful flue system to make up for that much of a loss in flue opening

click this link should bring you to our owners manuals page on our new website http://www.heatredefined.com/support/owners-manuals there is a selection "click here for our basic, old woodstove manual"

the model you have was covered by that manual

the floor mat protection is his not ours, so not worried about that. We will be putting it in our basement to replace the current stove we have.

The only thing I'm confused on is this flue reduction. We didn't know about different flue sizes and don't want problems. We do not wish to reduce flue size or cause issues so are you saying it looks like the flue has been reduced on this stove? how do we determine our current flue size--by measuring the pipe at the chimney access?

estimate on BTUs??
Well, I've got an old 24. It tosses some heat but that 28 is a lot bigger. Probably throws a massive amount of heat....and eats a massive amount of wood especially if you want to burn it hot and clean. :oops:

This where the reduction is occurring. It looks like an 8" to 6" reducer is inserted in the flue collar.
Screen Shot 2015-01-05 at 5.15.48 PM.png

What kind of chimney will you be hooking the stove up to? If masonry is it lined? If lined, what is the liner size?

Thanks for everyone's help. After the advice and messaging Mike Holton, we decided to back out of the sale. Fortunately, we hadn't paid yet since weren't picking it up until Wednesday. We just became too concerned about the flue reduction. And, since the owner never used it, he had no knowledge about it or advice on how it worked, etc. We'll keep looking for something.

Do yourself a favor and just get a new Englander. Dollar vs, heat output a used stove has to be almost free to be a better value. Not to mention same great customer service we just saw here.

Good plan. How much were they asking for it? It looks hardly used at all.

$500. It had never been used. Like just unpacked off showroom floor. complete with optional glass inserts for doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.