Information about Papa Bear stove and its value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hot Box

May 31, 2017
Louisville, KY
I have a Papa Bear and am curious about it and its value. I will post some pictures and would appreciate any insight or input. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3939.JPG
    IMG_3939.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3940.JPG
    IMG_3940.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3941.JPG
    IMG_3941.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3942.JPG
    IMG_3942.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3943.JPG
    IMG_3943.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3945.JPG
    IMG_3945.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_3946.JPG
    IMG_3946.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3947.JPG
    IMG_3947.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_3948.JPG
    IMG_3948.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3949.JPG
    IMG_3949.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 282
a little TCL, some paint and may have between a $250.00 & $300.00 stove.

Typical pre 1980 Papa, probably '75 to '77.
Any markings in weld on the bottom or under ash fender?
I don't see a weld bead around the flue pipe on the back, is there an H stamped on the edge of ash fender trim front and center?

Typical pre 1980 Papa, probably '75 to '77.
Any markings in weld on the bottom or under ash fender?
I don't see a weld bead around the flue pipe on the back, is there an H stamped on the edge of ash fender trim front and center?

I just found a label on the bottom.

Yeah, I already guessed that by the weld inside box around flue pipe. (licensed fabricators welded outside) Hesston in Kansas mass produced the boxes which were sold to fabricators who hung doors and ash fender (called the finish work) before sale. Some were also stamped with an H on the ash fender.

Yeah, I already guessed that by the weld inside box around flue pipe. (licensed fabricators welded outside) Hesston in Kansas mass produced the boxes which were sold to fabricators who hung doors and ash fender (called the finish work) before sale. Some were also stamped with an H on the ash fender.
The knowledge you have about these stoves is impressive. Is it better to have weld on the outside or inside? What is a stove like mine worth? Not sure what to do with it because I do not have a use for it currently.

Check Craigslist for prices in your area. Around here I've bought them for $100 from people who just want to get rid of them. I've also seen people ask $800 for one cleaned up, painted with new firebrick. I sold my last Papa restored for $500 which I think was a a fair price. It sold within hours of listing.

Check Craigslist for prices in your area. Around here I've bought them for $100 from people who just want to get rid of them. I've also seen people ask $800 for one cleaned up, painted with new firebrick. I sold my last Papa restored for $500 which I think was a a fair price. It sold within hours of listing.
Thanks for your reply. I have this grand vision of a cabin in the woods and that Fisher would be great. But that cabin may be a long ways off, so not sure if I can continue to store it. Thanks again.