Innovative Air Mover, or Bust of an Idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gorooster

Nov 12, 2011
New Mexico
Here's an interesting idea passed on to me from a guy at the stove store where I got my Mount Vernon. I'd appreciate some feedback:

To move warm air from my stove room (living room) around my one story 1440 sq' house, he suggested I run a series of vents from room to room that are high up on the walls. In the last bedroom of this circuit, he proposes I install an efficient Broan bathroom fan in the wall where the vent is. He told me this worked well in his grandparent's house and in his own house. He said he's able to open and close vents and doors to get a good flow of air through both houses, and he used some ceiling fans in bedrooms to move the warm air down.

It seems to make sense, but it sounds too good to be true... why haven't people done this for years if it's so easy? I have a hallway that runs adjacent to the back wall of my stove room (opposite the stove). There's one bedroom off each end of the hall, w/ a bathroom in the middle. Another bed and bath is right off the living rm. Stands to reason that I can configure this to work (he swears by it). Those Broan fans are excellent, quiet and barely draw half an amp (I think).

I purposely got a Mama BTU Vernon that's rated for well over my 1440 sq.', so I don't have far to go to get those back rooms a bit cozier, but we are using some Vornado space heaters (love 'em, but they take a lot of juice) to help out. The bathroom fan would cost much less to run than the space heaters.

What do ya'll thank of this?

Why not just install a Broan fan into the room you need heat in?? Broan makes several through the wall fans, that are pretty cheap. I have some installed in my house and they do as there supposed to. I wouldnt try room, to room, to room. To much heat loss and 1 fan is gonna have a hard time. I would think anyways.

Also, that many vents wouldn't be to aestheticly pleasing.

Hey gorooster. Dont mean to get off subject but i bet that stove is getting a good workout. The news has been talking about heavy snow and alot of rough weather up your way. Stay warm bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.